Long Term Survival/Living

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mike Franklin, May 24, 2008.

1. So do any of ya'll have any experience farming or gardening? Know anything about raising livestock? If you're near a body of water do ya know how to set fish traps, or run a trot line? Ya know how to make a skin into leather? Know how to sew and repair your clothes?
    If it hits the fan like most of ya'll think it will, staying alive and fed will danged sure take more than a 40 hour work week. Do not plan on living off the land. Just eating what ya kill or find growing wild will not work long term.

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Well, I have to answer Yes to all of the above and More...You have to know plants that are food and Medicine, Caring and preserving your Kills and Harvests...You have to be able to make your own clothes, Footwear, and know how to treat water...You have to have the capability of Building or making what you need from what is available.
    First and foremost you have to Have the Will to survive and the strength to withstand whatever is put in your path...

3. killer

killer G&G Newbie

My mother was an old farm girl from a big family during the 1930's. She said they only ate chickens during the summer due to meat spoiling so easy in the summer. They would during the spring and fall lower meat in the well to keep it cool (around 45 degrees).

You can of course have canned meat (in quart jars). Most canned goods seem to have a life span 2-3 years almost now I've noticed.

And I have said this before about canned goods I have kept up at my cabin (Northern Minnesota) over the past 19 years (no...not the same canned goods) you can freeze canned goods and they will not rupture. I have never lost one can, and I keep some high water content cans like green beans and stuff.

The water does seem to go to the top of the can and the consistency is...well kind of yucky with some stuff but edible. So if you don't have heat and or the canned goods freeze don't worry, it's still good.

I do have 100 pounds of propane on hand (4 separate 25 pound bottles) for strictly heating water and cooking needs.

4. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Yes...learning to "live" under a variety of conditions and circumstances is critical.

My wife and I are gaining new knowledge and skills regularly, so we can do well through whatever comes our way, and hopefully help those around us to do the same.

Can't live? Then you can't "live to shoot"...

I enjoy reading the many posts in this forum that have helpful information, from those who know how to live and how to shoot. Thanks...

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  5. I also have to anserew yes to all of the above and more. I've done those things many times before and much more!

6. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

I grow a small garden every year would take little efort to exspand it.

7. Yes, but . . .

. . . the total chaos of several hundred million Americans starving, becoming desperate, and killing each other off if a truly major crisis comes may not leave but a small number left who may or may not know how to start over with these skills.

8. Wingwiper

Wingwiper Suspended

Can goods last longer than you want to give them credit for.

In 1972, I was in North Central Vietnam and I had just eaten a Boneless Chicken C-Rat and was throwing the cans back into the Box and I noticed 1942 written on the box. It was a strange feeling knowing I just ate a Chicken that was killed 9 years before I was born and I had eaten it some 30 years after it was dead. Tasted good, just had a quosie feeling from the dates.

9. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended