close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Look for a new part to the Barn Wood story

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by Stock Doc, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Well I am slowly looking through the thousands of stocks I purchased from the Barn Wood story after finally finding it. A few future articles will be coming out with one based more on the Family and how the stocks came about and one just on the Trench art I have found. Believe it or not I found three different stocks with Larry, Curly & Mo on them. These were taken right out of WWII and never seen since. So many neat and rare things have been found. Rick B

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Interesting...
    Can't wait for the rest of the story...

Stock Doc likes this.

3. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    And I thought all the barn wood was long gone. Thanks for the video, "almost " as good as being there
    A real time capsule, looking forward to "the rest of the story"

grizcty and Stock Doc like this.
  4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Many neat and rare things were still in there. Many of the bad stocks I am cutting down for the cartouches and will come up with some neat stuff.
    [​IMG]

TheLastMountain, jerry and ChaZam like this.
  5. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Stock Doc likes this.
  6. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That is so cool !!! JR

Stock Doc likes this.
  7. lynxpilot

lynxpilot Constitutionalist Forum Contributor

Ava, MO
    If you are scrapping a bunch of them, I could cut, join, and shape into a guitar body and dedicate it to the Garand. Could have some historical value added to a more modern instrument.

Stock Doc likes this.
  8. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Lynxpilot,I will have scraps but will be putting allot of it to use for my repairs. Who big do the pieces have to be? Here is another video after we had already moved out 700 stocks and on another load that was over 1400. The stuff on the far left in the bin and the stuff we joked about on the right as all IP stocks is all junk. Also in the back corner of the bin is all butt ends and front ends broken off. Rick B

[youtube]

TheLastMountain and ChaZam like this.
  9. lynxpilot

Ava, MO
    I don't think the size matters that much. Bigger would be better (she said). Bottom line is that it would be made from what they used to be. I could see just cutting to a butcherblock pattern and gluing to the piece it needs to be which is generally about 18" x 13" x 1 3/4". We could auction it off for a fund raiser for some good cause.

10. lynxpilot

Ava, MO
  11. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Awesome Rick. Good to see you kicking.

Stock Doc likes this.
  12. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Thanks Jerry and Lynxpilot keep bothering me and I will get a box of stuff together for you to see if you can use once I start plowing into this stuff. We would need a stamp or someone to cut in " Made from the Barnwood" with a bit more but you get what I am thinking right? Can you glue for thickness also? Or do you need thick areas? There really are not to many as the back end has pretty deep holes in the butt end. Rick B

13. lynxpilot

Ava, MO
    The critical dimension is the 1 3/4". All the rest can be glued by enough pieces. The body of a guitar is actually the easy part. Then neck and the hardware are both labor intensive and expensive, so a good charity is critical. Something WWII would be great.

14. ChaZam

Great idea lynxpilot. Hope Rick can come up with some scraps that would be suitable for a build like that, and the WWII charity link of some sort would be awesome...

Stock Doc and texnmidwest like this.
  15. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Holy hardwood, Batman. That's a lot of stocks. I can wait for more of the story!

Stock Doc likes this.
  16. I dunno what this ''Barn Wood'' thing is y'all are reffering to

But that pile of Garand stocks is AWESOME!!!!! I would be in hoh heaven digging thru all that history looking for treasures!

If you find one carved ''Clayton'' I will buy a Garand just to put the stock on!

Stock Doc likes this.
  17. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

TheJoker and ChaZam like this.
  18. ChaZam

Thanks for sharing the history there Stock Doc... Great story.

Stock Doc likes this.
  19. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yeah. Great read. Thanks.

Stock Doc likes this.