Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to the SKS world. i am looking to get one but i dont know what to look for in a sks when buying one.

i have heard of the following names

Norinco
Chinese 56
Romanian
Albanian
Yugo 59/66

which brand is better to go with i know yugos are known for their toughness and i have seen on the site that the Norinco and Chinese are good for their better accuracy

also when buying a sks what do i look for like problem spots i have heard that the yugos have a gas valve problem and is a chrome barrel more accurate than a none chrome barrel

i m looking forward to see what u ya ll have to say very eager to learn anything about guns
scoutman

·
Registered
406 Posts
Norinco is what I just got. I like it. It has a chrome lined barrel. All but the Yugo's also have chrome lined barrels. If I understand correctly the Albanian has a milled receiver. Chrome barrels are better. They hold up to more abuse and are easier to maintain. You want to check them all out before you but one no matter what but from what I hear check the gas tube cause it is overlooked in cleaning. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good one but I would take a Norinco or a Russian over the Yugo anyday. They all can be very nice guns though if taken care of properly. They don't import any of them now except for the Yugo. Good luck with your decision.

Oh also check the stock for looseness. and verify that it's a numbers matching gun. The magazine is also best when left stock. most have a 10 round fixed some have a 20 round. Don't let anyone tell you that it is worth more cause it has a synthetic stock or detachable magazine. You can get those items if you want for a very reasonable price later if you really want to change them.

All that being said have you been looking at any and what kinda prices are they asking?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I agree with Freedom Man, the Chinese and Russian guns are prob. a bit better overall than the others, but it depends on the individual gun as well. Personally, I prefer the chrome-lined barrels for the simple fact that most ammo fired through an AK or SKS is most likely going to be Chinese, Russian, or Yugo surplus or some commercial-boxed version of the same stuff, and it's all nasty. The chrome bores are super easy to clean when compared to a non-chromed bore. My main issues when looking for an SKS are: original and\or matching parts, barrel threaded into the receiver vs. pressed\pinned, bore condition, and does it have a factory mag? I shy away from guns that have obviously been modified. The Yugo's are by far, the most common version around right now but they're heavier and have a lot of extra stuff that's just dead weight when shooting.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Buy a Norinco, it'll give you the least problems and probably last the longest. Then buy a Russian, because it's always cool to have the original. Then buy a Yugo, because they have a cool grenade launcher thingy. Then refinance your mortgage.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Oh yeah, look at the rifling at the muzzle pretty closely. A lot of guys are too lazy to take them down so they can be cleaned from the breech and end up ruining the rifling with a cleaning rod.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Oh yeah, look at the rifling at the muzzle pretty closely. A lot of guys are too lazy to take them down so they can be cleaned from the breech and end up ruining the rifling with a cleaning rod.
That's why part of the cleaning kit is a cleaning rod guide that slips over the muzzle.:drive:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like the Yugo 59/66 the most personally. They are the most accurate and reliable in the SKS world because it is the newest of all the SKS and by the time Yugoslavia started making them the design was perfected.

I have the Albanian, Norinco, Tula, Yugo, and prefer the Yugo over the others, no contest. I think that the Yugos are more accurate and seem the be the most well made because every little piece of that gun is machined from the scratch, truly hand crafted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts