Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am going to be talking a look at this gun in person. Seller is asking $500 with the two speed loaders. I am pretty sure there is no box or papers and the seller, who I know personally, said there is some minor holster wear. I have to say researching this particular model of S&W has been more difficult than other models I have been interested in. It seems there is a wealth of information about the K22 in the model 17 6in barrel version but information on the 18 specifically has been kind of light on the interwebs. As far as I can tell this gun must have been manufactured in or around 1967 since it has the non-diamond magna grips and is still a -2 model. as I understand they quit making the diamond grips in '67/'68 and the -3 came out in 1968 I think.

I had a S&W 617 on my list of guns to get mostly because I didn't know much about the K22's and I wanted the larger frame target .22 revolver. I think this gun will fit that niche nicely. It will also be a great companion to my 1980's 686. Even if I get this gun I will not rule out the 617 for some later purchase but as this gun came up from a friend I feel like I should give it serious consideration at this time. I also foresee wanting to get a model 17 at some point and I have plans to collects several other S&W revolvers to include 10,66,15,29,27,28 and others hopefully in various barrel lengths but I am kind of partial to the 4in barrels (of course some just have to be in the 6 in barrel like the 29). I find the 2in barrels interesting too but since I don't plan to make any of them a carry piece the short barrel is really just a novelty.

·
Wonderment :)
32,568 Posts
Follow Up

jashoffa: Sir, do Followup with pictures :) and experience :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hello jashoffa

Here is an early Model 18 Combat Masterpiece. This one left the factory in 1958 witth the diamond Target presentation stock's as shown on it. The Model 18 combate Masterpiece revolver's were not as Popular as their cousin K-22's with the longer 6" barrel, but they are out there is you look for them Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I met with my buddy and looked at the gun. It was rougher than the photo that he sent made it look. We live a little ways apart from one another so I met him on the Hwy.....after dark....looked at the gun in the truck with the dome light.....can you see where this is going. The action felt good, the bore looked clean and bright. the grips are pretty rough and the finish has some issues with some wear, scratches etc. there were a few places where there was some rust or pitting. The times seems to be on but there is a little more play in lockup than I would like, nothing too bad but just more than I would like. I wanted the gun but wasn't quite willing to pay the $500 for it. I offered him $450 which I felt was more than fair and he accepted.

After getting the gun home and under better light I am having a little buyers remorse. I think I should have offered $400 but then what's $50 between friends.....

Here are some pictures, first with the Magna Grips that came on the gun (I think that is the right name for them from what I have read). Then I put the Target grips from my 686 on it. while not quite period correct they are an improvement in the grip in my opinion and look much better also. Oh, one more thing...the grips that came on it have a different serial number than the gun so I don't think those grips are original anyway. Does anyone know what style of target grips would be period correct for this gun? I guess my theory that it was made in 1967 since it had non-diamond grips is out.....I would have to look up the serial number to know that actual date of manufacture.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello jashoffa

Here is an early Model 18 Combat Masterpiece. This one left the factory in 1958 witth the diamond Target presentation stock's as shown on it. The Model 18 combate Masterpiece revolver's were not as Popular as their cousin K-22's with the longer 6" barrel, but they are out there is you look for them Regards, Hammerdown

This is a much better looking gun than what I have. That gun looks like it is factory new in these pictures! Very nice piece, a gun you should be very proud of.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Here are some pictures, first with the Magna Grips that came on the gun (I think that is the right name for them from what I have read). Does anyone know what style of target grips would be period correct for this gun? I guess my theory that it was made in 1967 since it had non-diamond grips is out.....I would have to look up the serial number to know that actual date of manufacture.
Hello jashofa
In the Year 1967 S&W was still producing the Diamond center stock's. In 1968 They Dropped the diamond center on them, so if your gun shipped in 1967 it could have come with Diamond Magna's or the optional Diamond center Target Stock's like my Gun has. The large Target stock's that you have on your gun now were made in 1976 or later time span. These style stock's were made to accept the use of a Speed loader, The earlier style before them like my Gun has were called Football relief stock's. Here is what a Pair of Diamond Magna stock's would look like, I hope this helps, Hammerdown

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay....A day has passed. I showed the gun around to a couple of good friends and I have to say I am more and more satisfied with the gun as I handle it more and I love the way it looks and feels with those target grips. Much of the bluing is very nice and I have to say there is just something about a blued revolver and wood stocks....timeless beauty in the hand-gunning world.

I understand the advantages of semi-auto pistols but is a part of me that wonders why we ever got away from revolvers. I mean I love my semi-autos of which I own a number and carry often but the revolver has a beauty and eligance about it that is unmatched by just about any semi-auto handgun I have ever handled or shot. Sig, high end 1911's and a few others come close but I am not sure they ever really get to that same status as a fine revolver.

·
God, Guns, Glory
33,953 Posts
Okay....A day has passed. I showed the gun around to a couple of good friends and I have to say I am more and more satisfied with the gun as I handle it more and I love the way it looks and feels with those target grips. Much of the bluing is very nice and I have to say there is just something about a blued revolver and wood stocks....timeless beauty in the hand-gunning world.

I understand the advantages of semi-auto pistols but is a part of me that wonders why we ever got away from revolvers. I mean I love my semi-autos of which I own a number and carry often but the revolver has a beauty and eligance about it that is unmatched by just about any semi-auto handgun I have ever handled or shot. Sig, high end 1911's and a few others come close but I am not sure they ever really get to that same status as a fine revolver.
Good looking gun. :yup:

I have always prefered a revolver, over a semi auto. Those semi autos that hold half a box of ammo. Are for folks who are POOR shots anyway! :)
:swordfight:

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!

·
Registered
713 Posts
. Much of the bluing is very nice and I have to say there is just something about a blued revolver and wood stocks....timeless beauty in the hand-gunning world.

Hello Jashoffa
I feel that Most of the reason we see Mainly Semi-Auto's in today's world is the cause of "Hollywood". Movies generate Interest in people as Proven by The Clint Eastwood "Dirty Harry" Movies. Many ran right out and Purchased or ordered a S&W Model 29 chambered in .44 Magnum after they saw his movies where one was used to put down the bad guy's once and for all. Many that bought them found out that in real life a .44 Magnum has wicked recoil so the Market was flooded for a long time with The famous S&W Model 29's.

Another thing is fire Power and extended magazine's Pushed the sale of Semi-Auto Pistol's. If you have a 15 round Magazine you do not have to be a Marksman to get what you are shooting at, it is a simple Spray & Pray deal. Most Police that carry them only are required to practice to qualify only Once a year, so sadly Many are not all that great at serious target shooting. With Most revolver's you have Only Six round's to use so wasted shot's could be a serious situation of you are not a keen marksman. S&W was the Leading Gun manufacturer for LEO Gun's since the Late 1800's Offering the staple side arm being the M&P Revolver which stood for Millitary & Police. We saw them offered in a smaller frame revolver chambered in .32 S&W Long caliber, Then they changed out to the More Popular and Higher velocity .38 Special caliber, Then to The Fierce .357 Magnum Cartridge and in 1964 they even offered what was said to be "The Prefect Police Round" being the .41 Magnum cartridge.

Sadly, as time evolved we saw Most LEO's switch over to the Semi-Auto's as they Offered High Capacity magazine's and Now it is Rare to even see a Policeman carry a revolver in the Line of Duty. I have always' liked target shooting therfore I have many S&W revolver's that can not be Beat as far as accuracy goes. My S&W collection has Most of the Revolver's in it that were offered to LEO's from The Roaring 1920's to The last leg of the revolver's carried on duty being The L-Frame S&W revolver's chambered in .357 Magnum. If you would like to see how these revolver's changed over time, Just let me know I dio have picture's of mine to display here, but I did not want to have Thread drift unless you or other's would like to see some of the example's Posted in this Thread ? Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I guess I know why we got away from the revolver as a police side arm. I am a LEO part time myself and wouldn't likely ever carry a revolver on duty but outside of a carry gun revolvers really shine. Simple, accurate, reliable, and beautiful.

Hammerdown, I would love
to see a new thread with those pictures some time!

Sent using Gun and Game mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts