close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

looking at a new wheel gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by cooker300, Dec 27, 2017.

1. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

NW PA
    I was wondering if any of you guy have a Taurus 608. ive been looking for a new 357mag. a few years ago I traded my gp100 in to get the wife a springfield xd9.

this kinda caught my eye 8 round and 6.5 barrel that's ported

Moroco Mole likes this.
  2. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

I have one, picked it up at the pawn shop but mine is the 8 3/8 " barrel. Its down deep in one of the safes or I would pop a couple pics of it. I thought it was neat being 8 shot and its big about the same size wise as my M44 Tracker. Hot .357 loads are quite tame and shooting .38's out of it is like just a loud cap gun.

Taurus made a 4" version of the 608..... I might have to order one. Most shops around here have very few revolvers in stock, they just want to sell black plastic ccw handguns.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    If you have the time, come over to Pekin Gun. Plenty of wheel guns.

Moroco Mole, neophyte and TXplt like this.
  4. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    My brother in law has a 608 and it appears to be a solid well built gun. He swears by it and he is into the big black powder stuff. He even built a functioning canon that they use in Civil War reinactments.

Moroco Mole, neophyte and rando like this.
  5. FN FAL

I have been there several times but its probably been 3 years since I was last there. I have yet to buy a gun there.

Moroco Mole, neophyte and jerry like this.
  6. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I also have one but in Stainless Steel. I have an older model that is actually a different model and was only like 6 shot back then. Both are well made and heavy. I have never had any issues with either one. I usually shoot 38 special in them at the range because of ammo cost

Moroco Mole and neophyte like this.
  7. FN FAL

All my taurus revolvers are stainless steel..

Moroco Mole, neophyte and rando like this.
  8. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner

I have an M608 and it's 7-shot older sibling, the M607. The large-frame Taurus is slightly beefier than the S&W N-frame but uses the same holsters. A lot of folks install Wolff springs to lighten the action but, IMO, you should polish the action instead. Lighter springs can cause misfires. The only "upgrade" I would recommend is to install a ball-detent crane latch (personal preference). Some of the earlier revolvers had them from the factory. To the best of my knowledge, only Hogue makes replacement grips for these revolvers.
    Now here's the best part. The M607/608 cylinder is a lot longer than most .357's. You can handload Magnum ammo to a length of 1.72" and it will fit. That's a considerable amount of free horsepower. The 180gr Hornady XTP seated to its lower cannelure measures 1.70" and is perfectly suited for this.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Moroco Mole, neophyte and FN FAL like this.
  9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Funny, I was just looking through Bud's Gun Shop today, and saw a Taurus 605B at $280, and was wondering what the difference was between it and my Taurus 66, which cost like $200 more.

Well, other than it's a 5 shot and my 66 is a 7 shot.

Moroco Mole and rando like this.
  10. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I am thinking that the only difference is the round capacity. Most of their older revolvers in magnum were 5 shot and some 6. Mine is less capacity and it was bought sometime in the 90,s. I also have a long barreled 38 special Taurus and blued though. It was one of those police trade ins I bought.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  11. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

My first revolver - Taurus 689 .357 Mag 6" barrel, absolutely still my favorite and shoots like a dream. Wouldn't trade it or sell it for anything.
    Taurus 357 Mag.jpg

12. That's really nice ^

I love those big target grips.

Moroco Mole and Wicked109 like this.
  13. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner

The 605 is a small-frame snubby revolver. Think J-frame S&W, sorta. Your 66 is between a K and an L frame. The "B" means blued finish.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  14. gandog56

I have two .357's. A Dan Wesson with the pistol pack and 6 different barrels, and my Taurus model 66. The DW is for serious target shooting, the Taurus is just for casual target shooting.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hmmm, can't seem to find my picture with the DW with the 15" barrel.

Moroco Mole, MoDoc and Wicked109 like this.
  15. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

NW PA
    you guys are not nice. now I really want one, thanks. guess its time to start shopping. ill keep you posted. and gandog56 everytime I see that dan Wesson I just want to hold one

16. gandog56

I seem to have lost the picture of the thing with the 15 inch barrel!

Moroco Mole likes this.
  17. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

NW PA
    ok so over the last few days I have started to look around. I have narrowed my search down some what
    caliber 357mag
    barrel 6"
    not looking for a CCW/home defense gun. looking for a woods/hunting/range gun. to go with the 44mag 6" 629 and the 45colt Blackhawk 4
    5/8"
    I have held a gp 100, black hawk, 686, a Taurus tracker and a 65. honestly they have all felt good in the hand. but now I cant decide if I want single action only or DA/SA.. all were priced about 650ish to 680ish
    but the 2 Taurus they were about 450

this is the part I hate about buying a new gun. the choices their are just to many. and then the decision of blue vs stainless.UGH

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 3:56 PM
    TXplt and Moroco Mole like this.
  18. For a dependable, last a lifetime, easy to maintain, easy to get a slick trigger on, able to handle big loads for hunting 6 inch barrel revolver: GP 100 every day of the week. You can practice dry firing in single action or D/A bear panic mode while you watch TV every night and never hurt it.

That said there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of your choices there. A S&W 686 with big wooden target grips is real handsome and is great to shoot straight out of the box.

Or if you are shopping used, a conversation starting blued S&W 586.

19. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

In the past I used to scoff at Taurus products, only Ruger and Smith for this guy! Right up untill one day I got a good look over a tracker & impulse bought one , it turned out to be a pretty nice shooter.
    You can get a longer classic model 66 or one of their stainless ported trackers.
    So far Ive not had any problems with mine.
    Though you will find a few guy's out there that just dont like them or had bad experences with them.

I chose the stainless because I live off the road system in Alaska, Id had blued before and the coastal briny environment is tough on pretty blued revolvers, if your traveling with one strapped to your belt the elements get a good start on messing with that bluing job, my Ruger looks like an Apaloosa.
    Another is Taurus sights hold up pretty well, their factory grips are more to my liking.
    If only my fixed sight Ruger Vaquero could hold 7 rounds and was stainless. :rolleyes:

And there is the beater value of a non-heirloom shooter.
    Rugers are great durable guns!
    Im more inclined to take out my Taurus for a weekend boating trip than the Smith, why?
    For all the money I shelled out for it, I dont want to mess it up.
    If one gets scratched, which one will you cry more over the Smith or the Taurus?
    And If I had a Dan Wesson to me would be like wearing your best sunday suit to slop the hogs, its way too nice a gun to go knocking around the Alaskan back country.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 1:53 AM
    Moroco Mole likes this.
  20. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I've noticed the price jumps, when the barrel gets longer than 4".
    If you get a black Taurus 66 don't pay more than $400 new. I just bought one for $393 TTOTD.