Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to the show this sat. I was just wonder what your suggestions were on an affordable pistol to look for. I'm thinking about a Kel-Tec. I want at least 9mm that's capable of +P, but I would really like a .40 S&W. Any suggestions of what to look for in the $300 range?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ruger 9mm (used) can be found for under $300. Good, solid gun.

Star (Spain) has made some OK guns over the years. I've seen them in 9mm and .45 ACP. Simple, proven design.

Is 9mmP your minimum? The Makarov 9x18 is good gun for a good price. Smaller and lighter than the Ruger. HP ammo available.

You can also find some good .38 or .357 revolvers for under three bills.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Ruger P95 is excellent, but might be a little big for CCW soley. I would recommend Glock 26 or 27 but they are going to be out of the price rance. I don't know what Kahr runs, but I like the way they look and seem to have a decent reputation. What about a Tarus Model 85 w/ 38Sp +p or +p+? Speer makes some hot loads in 38Sp. Or maybe a used Ruger Sp101 in 357mag.......just some thoughts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah 9mm +P is minimum, I do some bounty hunting once in a while and we deal with a lot of people on crystal meth. I need something I know is gonna stop a 230lb man who's jacked up on meth. Seems like there are more meth labs around here now days than shine stills! LoL

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
In that case you need an AK under your coat. :D Seriously, BamaBowTie, I've got a Springfield XD Sub Compact 9mm which holds 10 rounds in the clip that would make an excellent CCW piece. It's light in weight and small enough to conceal easily. Only thing...this pistol costs around $450 or higher depending upon where it's bought. :right:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
just picked up a .38 s&w model 10 with a 5 inch barrel for a hundred bucks. can ya really pass on a deal like that?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Perhaps you could pick up a used compact .45 ACP for that price.

If I was dealing with meth heads a 9MM (even with +ps) would NOT be my choice if I had a say in it.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Dale...from what I've heard...you're absolutely right about 9mm being too small for someone on meth. Those crazies need a tank to knock them down.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
:right: :D Guess that puts us back in the market for something larger than a 9mm such as a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP or others.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I would prefer .40 or .45, but I would settle for a 9mm +P and a lot of hollow points! We just gotta get them off the street, it don't matter if they live or not! We have to produce the fugetive or a body, our choice! :full: :insane:

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Oh lets see how about the Bersa line they have some nice compact 380's, 9mm, 40's and 45's -- if you want a 1911a1 check out the compact of officers model RIA - another option is a good concealable 357 Mag the Taurus 606 or equivelent are very good choices at low $'s and very reliable according to the normal FBI book the 125gr JHP at 1200fps is an ideal manstopper

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I came away with what I thought was a pretty good deal. I got a brand new in the box Llama MiniMax .45. I have been wanting a 1911 style pistol and I need a good carry gun, this gun is perfect. $259 and I was on my way. I found an extra mag for $20. Had a lot of good buys on shotguns and rifles, but I'm not in the market for that yet. All in all it was a pretty good day. I'm going to test my new toy tomorrow IF it don't rain. Anybody got an opinion on the Llama's? Heard only good things at the show, any bad things to look for?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Good Luck with the Llama at the range. Let us know how it works out.

I went to the range today in the rain. Not that much fun!

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
My MAK:

The target:

Thats what I'm gonna use CCW....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took all my pistols out today. The Llama was a great buy it is dead on and does not jam. I put 100 rounds through it today and no problems at all. My only complaint is it throws the spent case right in your face. I'm gonna go to the gunsmith and see what he can do. My Hi-Point was as usual, reliable and dead on. The real surprise of the day was my little Jennings 22. I put over 200 rounds through it today and NOT ONE JAM. I took it out a couple weeks ago when I got it and every second or third round jammed, never had a problem today. Remington hollow point is what I was shooting. The big value packs from Wal-Mart. I would suggest the Llama MiniMax to anyone looking for a good compact 1911. It strips easily too!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Thanks for the update. I admit, I had my doubts about your recent purchase. Glad it turned out well. Might have to look at one of those myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts