Looking for a certain type of .22lr

Discussion in '.22/rimfire' started by fisherboy111, Oct 2, 2010.

1. fisherboy111

fisherboy111 G&G Newbie

Hi, I'm looking for a .22lr bolt action with a longer pull than most .22's. Any ideas? Hopefully it can also be more than single shot

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

So, you are looking for a 22 with a longer length of pull that what is usually standard? I am not sure they make those commercially. You might try putting a spacer between the buttplate and the stock to add an inch or two. Might have to be a custom job but they did that with my 1100.

3. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Yep, and don't forget those slip-on Winchester Recoil Pads...they add about 2" :)

olcop likes this.
  4. fisherboy111

fisherboy111 G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info guys, I was just looking for a .22 with a long enough pull that it doesn't seem awkward, I have a mosin an sks an m1 carbine and a ruger 10/22. When the guy at the gun store handed me the rifle I tried pulling back the bolt, nothing was happening. I felt like an idiot, then I saw that it was already pulled back. XD. Any milsurp rifles you guys know of that are nicely priced.

5. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

You can get a Mosin Nagant for about $125. That is with the transfer fee and all. You may be able to find one near home for about $119. That is what I paid for my 91/30. Also are you looking for a .22 that the bolt comes back farther on or a longer stock.

6. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Enthusiast

Try looking for a Marlin model 80,I have one the stock fits better than my other .22s,more like a full size rifle.

7. fisherboy111

fisherboy111 G&G Newbie

With a bolt that comes back farther. IMO it feels awkward pulling the bolt like an inch.

animalspooker likes this.
  8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Exactly how big are ya?? :D

I'm 6'3 with giant hands, yet I can find a happy place with almost anything except rifles meant for Kids, like the Krickett.

9. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

[​IMG]
    One each man-sized .22 rifle: The Winchester 490. This was designed as the companion to Winchester's Model 100 autoloader. There was a recall on them back in the 1970s due to slam-fires, but most of these guns were sent in to Winchester and fixed. Check Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc., for them. There are Winchester 190s and 290s galore, but the 490 was a bit larger with a better length of pull.

Dan22 likes this.
  10. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I have a CZ 452 and the length of pull feels good to me and I am 6'3"

11. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Evangelist

Phoenix
    I'm 6'3" too, and my Winchester 69A fits me well.

12. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'm 6'4" and have arms like a Greyback Gorilla. I have no problem with most .22 rifles. I have a couple dozen of various makes and models.

13. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    My 10/22 will fit anyone because of the 6 position adjustable stock.

Grumpus likes this.
  14. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

You're absolutely right, sir! I don't know what I was thinking. The 10/22 is perfect for him!

GSFixit likes this.
  15. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    I have an ati stock for a .10/22 that is extendable and seems pretty long. you could do something like that, I am willing to sell it ...

I went back to the factory stock because it is lighter and more compact, although the ati stock folds down.

I always wondered how you can have a fold down stock but not a SBR..

16. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    ^ That's the one I have and I love it. The only disadvantage is there are 6 hex screws (on top of the hand guard) that have to be removed if you remove the action from the stock for cleaning as I do.

MosinRuger likes this.
  17. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I may be mistaken, but I think he is talking about how far the bolt travels back? If so, the bolt only need retract as far as the length of the cartridge dictates. I.E. in the centerfire world, a 30-06 bolt will come back further than the 308, long action short action. If you want a longer bolt throw, a longer cartridge will typically be needed. If I'm misunderstanding, I apologize in advance.

"With a bolt that comes back farther. IMO it feels awkward pulling the bolt like an inch."

18. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

In which case he is out of luck. It is inefficient to have to cycle the bolt back further than required to function, so no gun I know of does that.

jerry likes this.
  19. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Evangelist

3-Winchester 22.jpg
    I'm going with Grumpus on the Winchester 490. All steel and the stock dimensions match the model 70, 88 and 100. It's all steel and has a great feel, not toy-like. Here's a picture of mine with size comparison to a Winchester 9422 and a Rossi copy of a Winchester model 62.