Looking for a crappy SKS

Discussion in 'SKS' started by Dragunov, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Looking for a rust bucket with ratty wood. As long as the trigger works and no rust inside bore, chamber or bolt face.

Anyone have one they're willing to part with??

2. ok, i have to ask why

3. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

For use in bad weather/rough terrain training. If it's dropped, I don't worry about it. If it gets wet, I don't worry about it. If the stock gets broken... Glue, dowels and duct tape to the rescue. Gets rusty? scotch-brite and ATF. It WILL be shot, so it has to function well.

Besides that, I have a thing for really crappy looking rifles that function and shoot well. I found a rusty, ratty, Mosin M44 for $35, but I don't think it functions.

4. that sucks man, about 8 yrs ago you could have bought a fairly decent sks for 120. i remember the crappy ones were like $99 at aimsurplus. that seems like just yesterday. i should have bought 10 back then.

5. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I know what you mean. I could've/SHOULD'VE bought a crate of them back in '82 at a gun store in Glen Este. They were $800/crate of a dozen. Sux for me now. :p

6. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I know what you mean its like seeing a cold puppy you just want to take it in, give it a better home and show it that there is a better life out there.[​IMG]

7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    The only ones I've seen lately are still-in-the-cosmoline SKSes at the gun shop. Them what already has 'em, seems to be takin' care of 'em. Even the ones offered for sale by private parties are cleaned up and properly maintained, with no rust. The wood may be dented and dinged, but it's not broken - assuming they haven't been dropped into aftermarket plastic stocks.

I think you're just going to have to buy a gunked-up one, clean it, and then care for it properly. It's not going to kill you to have to do that.

8. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

No, it won't, but now I hate you for suggesting I hand over a perfectly good SKS to a noob to molest. :p Now I think I'll go into my favorite corner and drink a can of pout.
    I'd offer you one, but I only have one left. :D

9. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Yeah, besides that, the bore looks like a rusty old sewer pipe. Kinda' disappointing.

10. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    You'd be surprised sometimes at what's under the rust and grime in them old sewer pipes, Dragunov. When I got the Czarina after Bubba had wrecked havoc with her, the bore was black as the bottom of a well. Half an hour scrubbing it out with bronze bristle brushes, mops and patches, all well soaked in Gunzilla, and she cleaned up nicely. The lands could be a little sharper, but for a rifle made in 1899 that saw action in World War I, they look pretty good.

She shoots best with a heavy load, since she was designed for the old 208 grain round nosed bullet. Reasonably accurate, too; I put five rounds in a horizontal line about an inch and 3/4s long at 100 yards, about 2 1/2 inches above the bullseye. She'd probably be dead center at 300 yards, if I could find the bullseye at that range with iron sights!

11. franchi

franchi Guest

i wold say your best bet is with a mosin. it will work better in the conditions described, a beater gun that will have minimal care. im not saying the sks is unreliable, but the mosin has what 3 moving parts total? go hunt down the pawn shops for a bubba gun. most bubbad 91/30s are already cut down to carbine length.

12. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

13. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Yeah, It wasn't in quite as bad a shape as I expected. It's prolly shootable, but the bore is very heavily pitted and rifling is barely discernable. I think I'll pass though.

14. Can generally find Norico's for cheap here in the pawn shops.

15. The problem is it is like finding hens teeth, what I mean by this is when people usually abuse something it usually becomes a money pit especially when something has more moving parts such as a semi auto, with the SKS you have some parts that get pricey if you get parted to death to make it a regular shooter.
    to me a cheap sks is about 250 on todays market when it comes to minimal amount I would spend other than that you are probably going to end up spending more .........for less!

16. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Good point.