Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe trying to find a unicorn but does anyone know of any that will function reliably with both? If I need to tune the . 38 Special OAL to function I can as I handload.
I'm not in a tearing hurry to buy one just doing some research before looking for one new or used. I'm also not always keen on believing manufacturers claims.
That's why I'm asking if anyone has any actual experience getting both to work in the same rifle.

If all else fails I'll probably get a Henry side loader in .357 as they are least advertise .357mag/.38spl and they are in business.

If I got an older Winchester or Marlin ni matter how good or what vintage...

Some of the Rossi ones aren't too bad but again parts

The various Italian made imports I don't know yet

What I'm looking for is a hunting/defense/CAS-SASS crossover use rifle if possible.

· Registered
23,369 Posts
The Henry rifles work with all cartridge lengths. I've even run .38 Colts out of mine (The older ones actually list 38 Colt on the barrel), and some of the Cowboy Action guys regularly run 44 Russian in their .44 Mag ones.

Other than that, the only guaranteed backwards compatible ones I know of is the Marlin 1894 Cowboy. The Rossis, Winchesters, and regular Marlins are more of a "might work" thing in my experience.

Of course, I have a store focusing on Cowboy Action and have only been able to get a hold of three pistol caliber lever-action rifles, period, since Covid, and one of those arrived a month ago and was ordered at the end of 2019.

· Registered
385 Posts
The Henry rifles work with all cartridge lengths. I've even run .38 Colts out of mine (The older ones actually list 38 Colt on the barrel), and some of the Cowboy Action guys regularly run 44 Russian in their .44 Mag ones.

Other than that, the only guaranteed backwards compatible ones I know of is the Marlin 1894 Cowboy. The Rossis, Winchesters, and regular Marlins are more of a "might work" thing in my experience.

Of course, I have a store focusing on Cowboy Action and have only been able to get a hold of three pistol caliber lever-action rifles, period, since Covid, and one of those arrived a month ago and was ordered at the end of 2019.
I want three Henrys, one in 22, one in 30-30 and the last in 45-70 (to keep the trapdoor company). I'd like them all with brass receivers. But at the price they want for them it might be a bit.

· Registered
12 Posts
You can load 38 spl/44 spl cartridges, long to their magnum cartridge's equivalents. I have been doing this for years for my lever guns. Also, when you have the same COAL, you can load those "spl" cases to magnum levels. Well, starting magnum load data anyway. Again, been doing it for years.

All that said, why not use the magnum cases and use starting load data?

· Registered
385 Posts
I had to go and buy a 357 mag revolver after I bought my henry rifle, ended up get a ruger gp100 blued with a 4 inch barrel but really wanted a 6 inch barrel but couldn't find one when I had the money
I remember wanting a stainless Ruger Vaquero and one of their lever rifles (don't remember the model) in the same caliber. I was leaning toward 357 or 44 but could never swing the financials.

· Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
425 Posts
I had to go and buy a 357 mag revolver after I bought my henry rifle, ended up get a ruger gp100 blued with a 4 inch barrel but really wanted a 6 inch barrel but couldn't find one when I had the money
I remember wanting a stainless Ruger Vaquero and one of their lever rifles (don't remember the model) in the same caliber. I was leaning toward 357 or 44 but could never swing the financials.
I have a 22 lr revolver and a 22 lr Henry Lever gun, a 22 win mag revolver and 22 win mag Henry Golden Boy, several 357 revolvers and a Rossi 357 lever gun, two 44 magnum revolvers and a Marlin 1894 lever gun. There is something just cool about having a rifle handgun combination that shoot the same ammo.

I also have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that takes the same magazines as my Glock 19x

Now I need a .308 revolver that will go with my Browning BLR Lever Action in .308. Hahaha

· Registered
5,336 Posts
I have a Rossi 357/38 Special and I've never had any problems shooting 38 Special out of it. I use it as a close range coyote and varmint gun here at the old homestead and primary shoot 357 out of it, but I've shot several boxes of 38s out of it without a problem.
The Rossi’s have a reputation for reliably feeding .38’s. I’ve had several pass through my hands and they all cycled .38 specials without issue.

· Registered
8,332 Posts
In my part of Alaska Id be lucky to locate .357 mag ammo let alone .38 special.
Hadnt seen any special ammo available in ages.
So would have to load your own.
If your reloading, why not reload .357 mag case to .38 spcl velocities?
That way your guarenteed to cycle all your ammo reliably?
Browning B-92 lever-action rifle in .357 Mag
A close copy of the Winchester Model 1892 Lever Action rifle, the B-92 was introduced in 1978 as a limited edition B-92 Centennial in .44 Mag. caliber only. The standard B-92 was introduced in 1979 in .44 Magnum. The 357 Mag. was introduced in 1982. The B-92 was discontinued in 1987.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
Per my Henry owners manual, my rifle will only reliably cycle 158 grain 38 spls but all 357 mag, so that is what i invested in was 158 gr 38s and a variety of 357 mag. It is dead on reliable with the 38s so that is all i was worried about.

· Super Moderator
14,865 Posts
In my part of Alaska Id be lucky to locate .357 mag ammo let alone .38 special.
Hadnt seen any special ammo available in ages.
So would have to load your own.
If your reloading, why not reload .357 mag case to .38 spcl velocities?
That way your guarenteed to cycle all your ammo reliably?
Browning B-92 lever-action rifle in .357 Mag
A close copy of the Winchester Model 1892 Lever Action rifle, the B-92 was introduced in 1978 as a limited edition B-92 Centennial in .44 Mag. caliber only. The standard B-92 was introduced in 1979 in .44 Magnum. The 357 Mag. was introduced in 1982. The B-92 was discontinued in 1987.
Dang Rex. So what kind of ammo can you find up there?

· Registered
1,259 Posts
I collect levers. At present we havd four 357 lever guns, two Rossi and two Marlins. The oldest a 1981 first year of production has always shot everything in them well, 38, 357 does not matter. The newer Marlin 2012 is also perfect feeds everything. We also have a 16 inch stainless Rossi and a 20 inch blue Rossi. Love them, they shoot everything.

As far as parts? I have no clue why you would worry about the Rossis for parts. The 357 is built on the same frame that takes the 44 mag, 45 Colt and 454 Casul. They are the strongest action on the planet. The Marlins keep changing ownership, so I would not rely or Ruger for your Marlin parts.

As far as the chamber leading up, I have had not problems ever. But I clean my guns. It is easy just to load light loads in the 357 cases. In fact, I like a load with a 158 grain wadcutter than leaves my 357 5 inch pistols at 1,125 fps, well below magnum but 200 fps above 38 special plus P, a handy load. not sure how fast it is in the rifles.

One thought. I have Henrys as well just not in 357. The reason I do not is because they are very heavy. The Rossi weighs 5 pound for the short one, 5 pounds eight ounces for the long one. The Henrys weigh about 7 pounds. If you only use them for range fun, it does not matter, but if you carry them a while, get the Rossi,

Personally if I was buying an new lever today, I would rind a stainless Rossi in 357 or 454, they are great little guns.

· Registered
8,332 Posts
Dang Rex. So what kind of ammo can you find up there?
Not any centerfire handgun ammo with a rim.
Can find these.
9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp

Up to about the Clinton era we had a decent gun shop in tkwn that had a meager stock of all the common stuff including .32 S&W, .32 H&R mag, 32-20, .44 spcl, .38 spcl and 7.62 nagant.
Even seen a box of .32 long Colt.
Those golden times are gone.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts