Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Maybe trying to find a unicorn but does anyone know of any that will function reliably with both? If I need to tune the . 38 Special OAL to function I can as I handload.
I'm not in a tearing hurry to buy one just doing some research before looking for one new or used. I'm also not always keen on believing manufacturers claims.
That's why I'm asking if anyone has any actual experience getting both to work in the same rifle.

If all else fails I'll probably get a Henry side loader in .357 as they are least advertise .357mag/.38spl and they are in business.

If I got an older Winchester or Marlin ni matter how good or what vintage...

Some of the Rossi ones aren't too bad but again parts

The various Italian made imports I don't know yet

What I'm looking for is a hunting/defense/CAS-SASS crossover use rifle if possible.
I was checking a flier I got from Kentucky Gon Co and thought of your interest in the 357 lever. They sell a lot of them, I bought one there. Prices are usually the cheapest around.

I commented about the weight problem with the Henrys'. I checked their adds. The Henry with the 20 inch barrel is listed at 7.84 pounds. The Rossi with the 20 inch is listed at 5.6 pounds. Heavier than I thought. In fact they are heavier than my Marlin 1895 in 410 shotgun and my Marlin Guide Gun 45-70. Both of those are listed at 7 pounds.

For reference, the Henry Big Bore in 45-70 with the 20 inch barrel is lighter than the 357 model, it is a little over 7 pounds, nearly a pound lighter than the 357.

The Marlin 357 levers with the 18.5 inch barrel are 6.5 pounds.

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

HENRY Big Boy Side Gate 357 Mag 20in Black 10rd » KYGUNCO

Just wanted to be clear. Nothing wrong with the Henry but the one model in 357 is much heavier than any others on the market, from 5.6 pounds to 6.5 to 7 is the norm for the 20 inch barrel. The Henry is 7.84 pounds. I bought 3 Henrys in my life, and kept one, a 22 mag Golden Boy beautiful gun and shoot great. But not a hunting gun.

For anyone who hunts, it matters.

A regular Marlin 30-30 model 336 with 20 inch barrel is 7 pounds.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Not any centerfire handgun ammo with a rim.
Can find these.
9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp

Up to about the Clinton era we had a decent gun shop in tkwn that had a meager stock of all the common stuff including .32 S&W, .32 H&R mag, 32-20, .44 spcl, .38 spcl and 7.62 nagant.
Even seen a box of .32 long Colt.
Those golden times are gone.
A few months ago, I noticed that the Bass Pro I was visiting on a trip to Oklahoma City had full shelves of ammo. I just happened to look for some 38 specials for the little J Frames. I reload and buy very few factory ammo, but I carry factory, so I looked. Not one box of any brand.

So, I looked for 357, none. Then 41 and 44 mag and 44 special, not one. So, I went to the counter thinking I was looking in the wrong spot. The staff told me that there get very little, that the demand is for 9mm, 45 and such, so they got lots of that buy often got zero rimmed ammo when their weekly ammo shipment came in.

I have not looked but will the next time I go through there. On another note, I hunt with a 257 Weatherby that I bought in that store in 2010. I buy very little factory Weatherby ammo, it is $56-$123 a box, and I load it for under $1. I look every time I travel to Oklahoma City in that Bass Pro and at the Cabelas about $10 miles away. I have not seen one box of Weatherby ammo in maybe 4 years. So, I just checked ammoseek.com and below is what I found for 257 Wby. They have some sure, but look at the price range, the cheapest is $2.83 per round, the most is $6.16 per round. Ouch!

Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Number

Water Rectangle Font Sky Art

My point is that rimmed hand gun rounds disappear just like the Weatherby stuff. That suggests to me, I should stock up for long periods, or as I do now, stock up on large supplies of reloading components. That also means to me that combination guns, like my Ruger that shoots 9mm,38 and 357, goes well with the 357 lever gun which also shoots the 38. That also makes the pistol caliber carbines just make some sense. You are not going to hunt elk with your 357 lever, but bump it up to 44 mag and you could in a pinch. Any lever works for home defense as do all the little 9mm carbines.

These ammo droughts just keep coming. Hoarding is not hoarding anymore, it is survival. My 2 cents.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I just looked my henry up on the henry website, I have a big boy classic in 357 and it says it weighs 8.68 pounds. I knew it was heavy but not that heavy, lol.
Yep. Most of us like Henry so well we do not even think to ask.

That is the only issue with the Henry. Pick up one of the Winchester Trappers or the Rossi 16 inch 357 and 5 pounds and you will freq. Marlin made a youth model 30-30 with a short stock called the Spike Horn. Biggest regret
I have is I did not buy 2 or 3 of them, when they were $400 about 5 years ago, or maybe a dozen of them. LOL 6.5 pounds and 33.25 inches long, as handy as can be.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

Now the 16 inch Rossi in 357, 33.875 inches long and ((( 4.8 pounds )))) That is actually a picture of the 20 inch.

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Shotgun

And the very best of them all for carry and defense?? The Rossi 454 Casull, also shoots 45 Colt. Also, 34 inches long--picture does not show but they have a recoil pad now, and they weigh 5 pounds 6 ounces. with the 20 inch.

Nothing at all wrong with the Henry, and most people do not know, but if you carry then at all, they are heavy. Just saying.... I think a Henry would be pretty hard on a kid to carry. Do they have a youth model?

· Registered
9,574 Posts
I collect levers. At present we havd four 357 lever guns, two Rossi and two Marlins. The oldest a 1981 first year of production has always shot everything in them well, 38, 357 does not matter. The newer Marlin 2012 is also perfect feeds everything. We also have a 16 inch stainless Rossi and a 20 inch blue Rossi. Love them, they shoot everything.

As far as parts? I have no clue why you would worry about the Rossis for parts. The 357 is built on the same frame that takes the 44 mag, 45 Colt and 454 Casul. They are the strongest action on the planet. The Marlins keep changing ownership, so I would not rely or Ruger for your Marlin parts.

As far as the chamber leading up, I have had not problems ever. But I clean my guns. It is easy just to load light loads in the 357 cases. In fact, I like a load with a 158 grain wadcutter than leaves my 357 5 inch pistols at 1,125 fps, well below magnum but 200 fps above 38 special plus P, a handy load. not sure how fast it is in the rifles.

One thought. I have Henrys as well just not in 357. The reason I do not is because they are very heavy. The Rossi weighs 5 pound for the short one, 5 pounds eight ounces for the long one. The Henrys weigh about 7 pounds. If you only use them for range fun, it does not matter, but if you carry them a while, get the Rossi,

Personally if I was buying an new lever today, I would rind a stainless Rossi in 357 or 454, they are great little guns.
The 454 Casull Rossi is actually different than the 45 Colt, 44 mag, or 357. It is the same as the 480 Ruger that was briefly made. Much stronger steel to withstand the higher pressures of the Casull round.
I had the opportunity to shoot and was offered the 480 Ruger several years ago. If my son wasn't due to be born when it was up for sale I would've snatched it. Money was tight and my wife would've beat me with it and then shot me.

· Registered
1 Posts
Maybe trying to find a unicorn but does anyone know of any that will function reliably with both? If I need to tune the . 38 Special OAL to function I can as I handload.
I'm not in a tearing hurry to buy one just doing some research before looking for one new or used. I'm also not always keen on believing manufacturers claims.
That's why I'm asking if anyone has any actual experience getting both to work in the same rifle.

If all else fails I'll probably get a Henry side loader in .357 as they are least advertise .357mag/.38spl and they are in business.

If I got an older Winchester or Marlin ni matter how good or what vintage...

Some of the Rossi ones aren't too bad but again parts

The various Italian made imports I don't know yet

What I'm looking for is a hunting/defense/CAS-SASS crossover use rifle if possible.
My Rossi 92 is super. 38s or 357. As long as the bullet isn't to long. I really like mine. Nothing but cast bullets thru it. Even nail a couple deer with it. I have a swamp fox green dot sight on it
158 gr swc gas check.. had a Henry but got rid of it. To heavy and to fussy..

· Registered
1,239 Posts
The 454 Casull Rossi is actually different than the 45 Colt, 44 mag, or 357. It is the same as the 480 Ruger that was briefly made. Much stronger steel to withstand the higher pressures of the Casull round.
I had the opportunity to shoot and was offered the 480 Ruger several years ago. If my son wasn't due to be born when it was up for sale I would've snatched it. Money was tight and my wife would've beat me with it and then shot me.

LOL.
They only made around 100 of the 480s in the Rossi 92, they were made for Legacy Sports. I passed one up because I wanted to wait over night to decide, like a fool. The 454 is a hotter round that the 480 which is probably why theyquit making them. The 480 has a max of about 48,000 psi and the 454 is 65,000 psi. Most people do not load the Rossi above 55K psi at the most. Mine has the recoil pad but is still only 5 and 1/2 pounds. It will kick the snot out of you. About like my 3.5 inch Turkey loads in the 870 and more than the 300 Weatherby. You have to want to shoot it with full power loads. The 454 is roughly twice the power of the 44 mag.

My 45-70 and 454 will shoot 300 grain bullets about the same speed, 1800-1900. If I load it down to say a 230 grain bullet at 1666 fps, it is really a nice load. Over on Rossi Rifleman they ran a survey a while back about what folks would want for a new lever gun. 327 federal was first, 454 a close second and 480 only had a few votes. I think the 454 is just too versatile, I can shoot 900 fps 45 Colt in it, my 230 grain plinking load or those 260 grain factories. The 260 grain Magtec will get over 2,000 fps and really are thumpers.

As far as the handgun, they are too much for me. I have Ruger 44s and 45 Colts that I load above 44 levels and they are all I care to handle, old wrists do not like them much. That said, Max Pasac who is the Gun Digest big bore guru these days claims the 480 is a much nicer handgun round, more of a push than the whack you get with the 454.

For folks that hunt big deer or hogs I think the 44 mag or hot 45 Colt is more than enough. I just love the 454 to carry around knowing it will put down a bear or whatever when I camp. That said, I have the 16 inch Rossi also stainless that is so small you never know it is there. I hunt only big deer and would not take the 357 when there are other choices, but at short range, the 357 in a rifle is pretty darn stout. Go read Buffalo Bore, he has one load that approaches 30-30. So, if you spend the money on the ammo, the 357 will take care of most any chore.

Everybody should own a least a couple levers. Come over to RossiRiffleman.com and enjoy the stories.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Office supplies Rectangle Font Metal Wood

Rossi R92 357 Magnum Lever-Action Rifle with Octagonal Barrel | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore (sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com)

OK, not cheap but this one is in stock right now, just showed up today at the Outdoor Superstore. I have bought a couple guns from them, good place, free shipping and they did not charge me tax. They also have 2 in 44 mag for $670 and $720 for a fancy one. I think they are both 20 inch barrels. They are blue steel.

I do not have any levers with the 24 inch barrel but if I did not already have more than one in 357, I would sure consider this one. It will go fast. I have no clue if they just have one or a dozen, I just know i collect levers and Rossis in stainless go fast and Rossis in 357 will go fast. This one will go quick to several groups. Sure would look good at my house.

· Registered
9,574 Posts
If memory serves I think they made about 500 of the 480 Ruger models. They were not big sellers for sure. I for one would've preferred the 480 because of what you described. The recoil on the full power 454 being what it is. I shot an early model Freedom Arms 6" barrel in 454. If I remember it was a 335gr cast bullet over a full charge. That thing was a handful to say the least. I've also shot a custom Ruger Bisley that was converted to 475 Linebaugh. That one right there got your attention as well. I don't think it was as sharp as the 454 though. With the 480 you could ream the chamber slightly and then have the 475 Linebaugh and have the king of practical stopping rounds.

Since the 480 Ruger is so hard to find and when you do they require you to take a mortgage out on your house to purchase it I will have to settle on the 454. The only reason I want the 454 is to shoot my hot 45 Colt loads through it. My 45 Colt Rossi 92 likes to stretch the cases.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
If memory serves I think they made about 500 of the 480 Ruger models. They were not big sellers for sure. I for one would've preferred the 480 because of what you described. The recoil on the full power 454 being what it is. I shot an early model Freedom Arms 6" barrel in 454. If I remember it was a 335gr cast bullet over a full charge. That thing was a handful to say the least. I've also shot a custom Ruger Bisley that was converted to 475 Linebaugh. That one right there got your attention as well. I don't think it was as sharp as the 454 though. With the 480 you could ream the chamber slightly and then have the 475 Linebaugh and have the king of practical stopping rounds.

Since the 480 Ruger is so hard to find and when you do they require you to take a mortgage out on your house to purchase it I will have to settle on the 454. The only reason I want the 454 is to shoot my hot 45 Colt loads through it. My 45 Colt Rossi 92 likes to stretch the cases.
If you will check, all the data said the 480 was limited to 100 rifles. Now let me make you sick. The 480 I passed up I could have had for $750 plus shipping and FFL fees, less than 8 years ago.

The 480 was first made by Rossi but sold as the Puma. Reported first in 2007. Puma .480 Ruger Levergun from Legacy Sports International (gunblast.com)

All the data out there says there were only 100 produced. At the time there were about 1,000 produced in 454 and some dispute as to how many were blue and how many were stainless. Some say 500 or each. But they resumed production so there should be thousands in 454. The early ones were all Rossis but marketed as the Puma. Then later just called the Rossi 92.

Here are some links, all say there were only 100 in 480.

Rare Model 92 Rossi 480 Ruger Stainless 20" Lever (gunsinternational.com)

"
Re: 480 Ruger
Postby Ranch Dog » 09 Feb 2021 06
With only 100 out there, I think it will sell. I would sell it on GunBroker for what GG suggested.
Rossi Rifleman • View topic - 480 Ruger (rossi-rifleman.com)

Re: There's a SS 480 Ruger on GB..
Postby Ranch Dog » 18 Sep 2019 08
When I spoke with Legacy, the guy could not recall how many out of the 100 rifles were ordered in SS.
Michael Rossi Rifleman • View topic - There's a SS 480 Ruger on GB.. (rossi-rifleman.com)

Dang, that is just a fine looking rifle and the only one of the 100 produced that is configured as a saddle ring scout. Prior to dark I went up to my range and shot it at a 6" steel gong at 100 yards. The 375-grain bullet hit the gong dead center, the final shot pulling the chains that the gong hangs on right out of the treated post that it hangs from. I got to fix that tomorrow! Ranch Dog.
Rossi Rifleman • View topic - 480 Ruger Hunting (rossi-rifleman.com)

---Ranch Dog is the originator of the Rossi Rifleman and the question is about value. I cannot put my finger on the source but I think there were only 100 of the 480s produced.

It took our family group three years to find a stainless 454. I wanted the 16 inch but settled for the 454 and glad I did. I have not seen another for sale in my state, in 4 years now. I have been looking a total of 7 years now for the 454 Stainless in the 16 inch. Not to be had. Not likely I will ever find one. We have the 454 in 20 inch and the 357 in 16 inch among our collection of levers, so I am good for life.

· Registered
9,574 Posts
If you will check, all the data said the 480 was limited to 100 rifles. Now let me make you sick. The 480 I passed up I could have had for $750 plus shipping and FFL fees, less than 8 years ago.

The 480 was first made by Rossi but sold as the Puma. Reported first in 2007. Puma .480 Ruger Levergun from Legacy Sports International (gunblast.com)

All the data out there says there were only 100 produced. At the time there were about 1,000 produced in 454 and some dispute as to how many were blue and how many were stainless. Some say 500 or each. But they resumed production so there should be thousands in 454. The early ones were all Rossis but marketed as the Puma. Then later just called the Rossi 92.

Here are some links, all say there were only 100 in 480.

Rare Model 92 Rossi 480 Ruger Stainless 20" Lever (gunsinternational.com)

"
Re: 480 Ruger
Postby Ranch Dog » 09 Feb 2021 06
With only 100 out there, I think it will sell. I would sell it on GunBroker for what GG suggested.
Rossi Rifleman • View topic - 480 Ruger (rossi-rifleman.com)

Re: There's a SS 480 Ruger on GB..
Postby Ranch Dog » 18 Sep 2019 08
When I spoke with Legacy, the guy could not recall how many out of the 100 rifles were ordered in SS.
Michael Rossi Rifleman • View topic - There's a SS 480 Ruger on GB.. (rossi-rifleman.com)

Dang, that is just a fine looking rifle and the only one of the 100 produced that is configured as a saddle ring scout. Prior to dark I went up to my range and shot it at a 6" steel gong at 100 yards. The 375-grain bullet hit the gong dead center, the final shot pulling the chains that the gong hangs on right out of the treated post that it hangs from. I got to fix that tomorrow! Ranch Dog.
Rossi Rifleman • View topic - 480 Ruger Hunting (rossi-rifleman.com)

---Ranch Dog is the originator of the Rossi Rifleman and the question is about value. I cannot put my finger on the source but I think there were only 100 of the 480s produced.

It took our family group three years to find a stainless 454. I wanted the 16 inch but settled for the 454 and glad I did. I have not seen another for sale in my state, in 4 years now. I have been looking a total of 7 years now for the 454 Stainless in the 16 inch. Not to be had. Not likely I will ever find one. We have the 454 in 20 inch and the 357 in 16 inch among our collection of levers, so I am good for life.
You will be sick when I tell you the DOT Inspector that wanted to sell me his only wanted $350.00 for it. I had the money in my wallet and I so badly wanted to buy it but I was going home to my wife who was weeks away from giving birth and was going to have my hours cut down to 26 hours a week so the $350 was going to be about a month's worth of groceries for us at that point. At the time I had the Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger and shot it quite a bit. I only wished it was a single action since I feel big recoiling handguns need to be in a single action revolver.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
You will be sick when I tell you the DOT Inspector that wanted to sell me his only wanted $350.00 for it. I had the money in my wallet and I so badly wanted to buy it but I was going home to my wife who was weeks away from giving birth and was going to have my hours cut down to 26 hours a week so the $350 was going to be about a month's worth of groceries for us at that point. At the time I had the Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger and shot it quite a bit. I only wished it was a single action since I feel big recoiling handguns need to be in a single action revolver.
WOW. Yep. Sometimes we miss some really good deals and then we remember them forever. I had never even seen the 480, I was looking for the 454 and the guy answered my add. I told him I needed to think about it overnight, and of course it was gone.

Another deal I missed was a 44-40 Sporting Rifle.ever gun. The fellow inherited it and claimed his father was a painter and bought it to use as a prop for picture he painted of John Wayne that is now in the Cowboy Museum in Oklahoma City. He knew nothing about guns but wanted $500, I said deal I would pick it up tomorrow. Well tomorrow came and when I called he said some fellow had cried he wanted it so bad and drove an hour to buy it.

Anyway he was quite sorry, he said. So, I looked up the gun, they were $1,450 the last they had sold years ago, of coure this one was tied to John Wayne, sort of. Anyway, I really wanted that one.

After that any gun deal I made, I went right then, with cash.

· Registered
9,229 Posts
I would love to find a low cost rifle that shoots .357 Mags. I'd be perfectly happy with a single shot like the H&R rifles that I believe they stopped making. I have 297 rounds that I reloaed with H110 and they are very uncomfortable to shoot in my revolver. The lever and bolt action rifles that are available are more expensive than what I want to spend.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I would love to find a low cost rifle that shoots .357 Mags. I'd be perfectly happy with a single shot like the H&R rifles that I believe they stopped making. I have 297 rounds that I reloaed with H110 and they are very uncomfortable to shoot in my revolver. The lever and bolt action rifles that are available are more expensive than what I want to spend.
We have 4 of thouse 357 levers in the family, 2 Marlins and 2 Rossis. I Bought the first one when I was in the military single and had lots of discretionary cash, 1981 I think. Later a second one was a Remlin, 2012 model. The first would should 1.25 inch groups with a Tasco 3 x 9 x 32 scope. I left the load of H110/W296 alone, and the scope also. The second shoots just as well with a better scope, those went to grandsons but stay at my house a lot. The 16 inch Rossi is mine forever. I am going to thread the barrel and they will bury with it, a cool little gun. They only weigh 4 pounds 8 ounces.

The prices have doubled and they are hard to find. Too many people figured out how handy the are. The single shots are great and several made them, I think Henry and maybe Traditions still. The best was perhaps the Ruger 77/357. No longer available. Last MSRP was $1,277. Too steep for most folks. I do not think they are still made and not aware of anyone making a bolt action 357 at this time.

Henry still makes one, blue or shiny brass, $420-$550 or so, to steep for me.Henry .38/357 Single-Shot Heirloom Rifle with Brass Receiver | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore (sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com)

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Part of the Henry problem is you can buy the same gun in 350 Legend, or 243 or 223 or others, too many choices. Traditions made one also, great little guns for about $425.

There are several Rossi lever action 357s for sale, not cheap. Lots more than what I gave. Rossi Rifles for Sale :: Guns.com

· Registered
9,229 Posts
The best was perhaps the Ruger 77/357. No longer available. Last MSRP was $1,277. Too steep for most folks. I do not think they are still made and not aware of anyone making a bolt action 357 at this time.
I did look at the Ruger but it was too expensive back then as well and I didn't foresee some of the manufacturers stopping production on the single shots. I can pull the bullets and reload with a different powder that gives the same FPS as current 357 ammo but that is a lot of work and it would have been nicer to get a new rifle.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I did look at the Ruger but it was too expensive back then as well and I didn't foresee some of the manufacturers stopping production on the single shots. I can pull the bullets and reload with a different powder that gives the same FPS as current 357 ammo but that is a lot of work and it would have been nicer to get a new rifle.
Totally agree. I never owned a Contender and times like this make me wish that I had, they have barrels for everything. I listed after the Ruger stainless all weather in 357 for years, but they were always $700 or more even 15-20 years ago. I had the Marlin lever since 1981, so not going to spend the big bucks on one that price, And there was feeding kids and things like that.

One other thought. I have several caliber adapter for shotguns. I have a double 12, 20 and 410 and a couple singles in 410. I have chamber adapter for all three to shoot 9mm in. Kind of fun to shoot my double hammer 12 with 9mm ammo in it. Or the double 20 or 410. Most of mine are just smooth bore and they are short range deals, you can shoot coke cans at 30 yards, or maybe a rabbit but the wander very far. That said several companies make rifled barrel ones that are supposed to be accurate to 50 yards or so. I also use the 410 to 9mm one to fire 9mms in my 410 pistol. Below is a video of a guy shooting 4 inch targets at 50 yards.

Chaszel 12 Gauge Adapter 357/38 Spl accuracy update - Bing video

If you have any single or double shotgun they are fun to have and their are several companies that make them in 357.
Caliber Adapters (theshootersbox.com)

Adhesive Tool Font Circle Cylinder
Tobacco Font Wood Metal Cylinder
Font Bullet Ammunition Terrestrial plant Metal

12GA to .357 Magnum Shotgun Adapter (uniquetek.com)

I do not have one in 357 but am thinking about buying on of these rifled ones for $31. Not much to lose.Thinking about one in 45 acp also, for the double 12. Old guys and their toys.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts