Looking for a pistol for friend with MASSIVE hands.

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Martin Rage, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Martin Rage

Martin Rage G&G Enthusiast

My friend is looking for a pistol but we can't find anything that he can comfortably hold in his price range 400-700. The only gun so far that he has shot comfortably is a glock, but he doesn't like the angled on the handle. I figured if anyone can help it's you guys.

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Desert Eagle .44....If you can find one in that price range. It is for large handed people.

3. Martin Rage

Martin Rage G&G Enthusiast

I forgot all about the DE, always dismiss it as a Hollywood gun. Might be an option, but its a little expensive.

4. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Think I saw a Nitro express 600 pistol on you tube. That ought to do it.

5. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

S&W M&P. I held one a while back in a gun store and it had a large grip on it. Larger than a Glock 9mm or .40 but with a more American grip angle on it.

6. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

the Smiths with the old Magna wood grips but even the used ones are getting spendy

7. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

1911 and get a Hogue Overmold grip for it. I think that's what the grips are called.

8. Rex_Lee

Rex_Lee G&G Regular

Barettas/Taurus PT 92's have a large grip compared to glocks and the like. That's one reason prefer that design.

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

10. how about the ruger p-90 and the xd 45s they are both pretty bulky or anything in 45 seems to be bigger

11. jbrown

jbrown G&G Newbie

i shot one of those springfield xd 45s once. the handle holds a mag that holds 13 .45 rounds so it's pretty big. it's also a comfortable, straight shooting, all around good pistol with easy to use sights. i liked it almost as much as the 1911 i shot that day. almost.

worth checking out for sure.

12. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

He may want to look at the Rock Island 45 double stack new or perhaps a used Para Ord.

13. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'd take your big handed friend to a big gun show. He could personally fondle hundreds in a day.

14. CAV88

CAV88 G&G Newbie

S&W large frame revolver maybe a 629? ive got the 5 inch barrel version and its got pretty big grip

15. XDm, 1911, Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum, Ruger Alaskin .454

16. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Glock 20 (Gen 1 or 2) with the wraparound rubber grip :)

I had a DEagle...it's big enough, but it's hard as heck to conceal.

XDM feels really funny in my monster hands...and I've tried different backstraps.

Double-stack 1911's work :)

Strangely, my wifey's Taurus 24/7C (9mm) with the ribber grip feels really nice for a tiny gun :)
    That grip automagically adjusts to you :) Get a 24/7 in .45 for a big guy.

I'm 10" across from thumb to pinky wide-hand & 9" from palm to tip of middle finger...
    Them is Meat Hooks :D

Just for giggles I measured my middle finger...that's 5" of Bird from the knuckle alone ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  17. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

When you say massive, I presume you mean he has big thick fingers, too. My finger spread is almost as much as Big Shrek's, but his hand probably weighs half again as much as mine. I find a Redhawk with Pachmayr Decelerators a nice fit, but I like also my P95 and a 1911.

I saw a DE .357 at a show for $700 about 6 months ago. I thought it was pretty clumsy and heavy for what it shot.

If he hasn't ruled out revolvers, Smith and Wesson makes a couple of big frames for their .460.

Is he planning to carry it concealed or is he just looking for a shooting iron that feels comfortable in his hand?

18. Another good one for large hands is the full size 10mm EAA Witness. I almost bought one of those and the thing that stopped me was it was too big for my hands. I shot one that belonged to a friend. Great gun with a lot of stopping power and priced pretty low. I really like the Witness line.

19. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA