Looking For A Rifle...

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by Joshua M. Smith, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith G&G Enthusiast

Hello,

I've begun a selection process for a rifle in .22 Hornet.

Specs must be these:

Left handed bolt action

Four to five round capacity

Heavy, or semi-heavy, barrel, no sights

preferably MOA accuracy from the box with good hand loads

D&T for a 'scope mount

Reasonable price, similar to that of a Savage

Does anyone know of any rifles like this? The Ruger M77 would be awesome, as would a number of Savage rifles, but they're chambered in .223 on up. I'd really like that lil' .22 Hornet. I figure it will save on powder and will do anything I need it to do out to 200 or 300 yards.

It would potentially be a squirrel gun, so I can't have it passing through trees and stuff.

In other words, I'd like something more powerful than the .22 Long Rifle, but with more potential than the .22 Magnum.

I've never really latched onto the .17 calibers. Seems a mite explosive to me.

Any help?

Thanks,

Josh

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    your not gonna find such a thing from the factory, at least not in a LH rifle. cheapest way to get what you want is to buy a savage and rebarrel it.

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Josh, off hand I can't think of any of the major maunufacturers who produce a left hand bolt action in the 22 Hornet chambering. I'm sure some of the custom builders could produce one, but the price would escalate pretty high.

Would the single shot Thomson Center Encore be a suitable option for you? A friend of mine has one in 22 Hornet with a multitude of other barrels and chamberings and the accuracy is impressive to say the least. The 2 Hornet is a great little caliber, and the versatility and safety of the encore is a great bonus.

4. Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  5. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Get used to shooting a RH rifle left handed. I've been doing it all my life because I'm too cheap to buy a new LH model.

6. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

7. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The old Browning Micro Hunter came in 22 Hornet but I haven't looked at them in years and am not sure if LH was available.