Looking for a Ruger in 9mm

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by Sober, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Hey Guys,

Lately Ive been interested in buying myself my first handgun and I have posted a few other threads as to what to buy and I have come to a few realizations. Frankly I would not like to spend more than about 500 bucks because its my first and I dont want anything special JUST reliable. I have been looking at the Ruger SR9 and was wondering if any of you own one and and and if you have comments on it. I love Ruger in general. I own 2 10/22 and Im a fan of the Mini 14 and Mini 30 not to mention the Redhawk Revolver and Sp101 Revolver. So I kinda wanna go with the Ruger brand but I don't wanna buy something I cant rely on. So, Are these accurate? Reliable? Easy to break down? you know the genneral thing that make a good handgun.......Any info will help me greatly as I have been trying to figure out what I want for about a month lol.

2. Chris

Chris G&G Evangelist Staff Member Forum Contributor

The SP101 revolver in my opinion is one great firearm. As far as never letting you down, a revolver will always beat a semi-automatic any day.

The SR9 has my attention, SR9 - User Reviews and I hope to do a video review of it soon.

3. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Yah I REALLY like the Sp101 its just its 500 bucks and only a 5 shot...I feel like I should get something with a Higher capacity(cause i also want to use it as a Concealed carry).

4. Chris

Chris G&G Evangelist Staff Member Forum Contributor

If you ever need it, do you think you'll need more than 5 shots?

5. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

I see your point and I really hope not. But honestly Im not too sure. That and shoot a .357mag is a pretty powerfull, definitely alot more stopping power than a standard 9mm. GREAT now I have to consider this gun along with the others I was looking at LOL...At this rate im never gonna be able to make a decision. Do you really think it would be worth my time to invest in the Revolver though? I mean 17 rounds vs 5 rounds is a pretty big difference. Granted its a slim chance that I'll ever really need to use it cause Im a fairly aware person and Im good at staying out of situations that involve violence. But i would rather be over prepared than under prepared. What do you think? Im honestly lost here. All i really know is im not trying to spend above 500 cause my funds are very limited and I want the best Bang for my buck(literally). Oh and can you load .38 rounds in a Sp101?

6. stickhauler

stickhauler G&G Newbie

You can get a SR-9 or a SR-9 C for around $400.00 right now, and use the extra cash for ammo. I haven't shot the SR-9 but I own a SR-9 C, and love that little pistol for concealed carry. It's light and slim, easily concealed under a shirt tail hanging over my waist. And it's a very accurate firearm, if the shooter does their part. One of the better firearm purchases I've ever made.

They redesigned the trigger for the SR-9 C as they had complaints on trigger pull on the full sized SR-9. Production of the SR-9 now uses the same trigger design as the compact has.

7. dsschuler

dsschuler G&G Addict

Love my SR9, I shoot it more than any of my other guns, very reliable, over 8000 rounds and twice it failed to reset the trigger (not bad for $389 gun), pretty accurate for me. It sits by my bed with 2 17 round mags full of fed. hydrashoks. I would recommend for HD.

8. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

yah Here thers about 470 though and a Glock or Springfield is about 620 thats one reason why I ask.

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Don't overlook the P95...bulky but built like a tank...mine always went bang and was accurate.

10. The The P85 and P89 are available used and can be had for 250 or less. The Blackhawk convertible is a nice shooting 9 mm, 38 and 357.

As mentioned there are other Ruger 9mm guns. I mention what I am familiar with.

11. BudW

BudW G&G Evangelist

Try a sr9,you will love the feel and fit in your hand.

12. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    I almost bought a ruger pistol, i was looking at the p95 or sr9, i didnt go with the sr9 because i didnt liek the trigger. The sr9 was obviously nicer than the p85, excluding the trigger, but then i found a stoeger Cougar 9mm on sale, and i fell in love with it.
    I know its not a ruger though, i like rugers stuff too, but i had to get the Stoeger, it just felt so right in my hand, and i got it for $379.
    Now im wanting something smaller for CC, so the sr9c is on my radar again.

good luck with the search, you really dont need to spend a ton of money to get a good handgun, just find what feels right for you.

13. 147 Grain

147 Grain G&G Newbie

Ruger has upgraded the trigger in the SR9C and it is pleasantly better than the Glocks. Go to your local gun shop and compare the triggers of several brands and the SR9C will probably be the best of the major brands. A temporary drawback of the SR9C is the very heavy recoil spring, which can be reduced by locking the slide back and leaving it that way for a few days. Ruger's standard SR9 uses a gritty trigger that's little different design than the outstanding version in their compact SR9C.

For a beginner, the Ruger P95 is not that bad to learn on, even with the take-up slack in the trigger.

14. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

????? A spring shouldn't weaken after being compressed for a couple of days. I think I would write to Ruger about the problem if that happened to my gun.

15. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

We have several new and used Ruger 9mm's and I really like the SR9C the most of all of them.

16. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Evangelist

SR9c is next on my list. I already have the SP-101.