looking for advise on chain saw

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by cooker300, Sep 13, 2013.

1. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

hi everyone.
    looking for some advise on chain saws.
    I have been wanting one for a few years now and going to make the plunge.

I have been looking at Jonsred saw 2159 model and stihl 250

I have ran stihl 250 an a 362 in the past and( poulen which I didn't care for)

wondering what you guys have . like or don't like

the saw will be used for cutting fire wood and dropping tress where we hunt deer and helping people out

2. lynxpilot

lynxpilot Constitutionalist Forum Contributor

I have a Stihl MS 351 and it's nice, but I have to change the friggin fuel hose every year because it can't handle the alcohol in gasoline these days (sounds like me). Stihl has a great reputation but don't overlook the Husqvarna's. I have friends that swear by them (not at them) and I've seen them in action.

3. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Evangelist

Today Jonsered and Husquevarna are the same saw. A quality saw if you don't buy their two smallest models, which are the same thing as a homelite now. Stihl is still a quality product. The only saw I will own in this town in a Jonsered. The reason is the service. As far as I'm concerned the best saw that exists is the Japanese made Shindaiwa. But service is nonexistant. Find a dealer you trust and then buy a saw.

4. aht_six

aht_six G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I had a Jonsrud for many years, great power to weight ratio. When it was running right it was a great saw. Problem was, it was often hard to start, and it seemed like I was getting fixed way too often.

I replaced my Jonsrud with a Stihl 280 6 or 8 years ago. I have never had a single problem with it, great power and easy starting. I would highly recommend a Stihl. I would also recommend not buying more saw than you need, most jobs around the yard are easier with a smaller lighter saw.

5. Sandy Pockets

Sandy Pockets G&G Enthusiast

When I did yard work when I was growing up we used Craftsman and Makita. They did fine for what we needed to do.

6. rl69

rl69 G&G Evangelist

I agree with agh-six don't get a saw bigger then you need. but don't get a small one and put the biggest bar you can get for it either.a still 290 with a 14 or16inch bar sounds about right

7. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

im thinking a 50cc and a 20" bar would do everything I will ever need.

8. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

I got a Husqvarna and 2 poulans (one of which isn't running). But I haven't touched the Poulans since I bought the husky. I love it. This is the third yr I've had it and have had zero issues so far. But I also make sure to NEVER run ethanol in my yard equipment. Did it once accidentally with my weed eater and it ran fine until the next day when I went to use it again wouldn't start at all. Even after I switched out gas. But I regress I do like my Husqvarna.

9. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Husqvarna 455 rancher is what I have love it zero issues to date I only run high octane ethanol free gas in it ,Can't go wrong with a husky

10. Mr.tbolt

Mr.tbolt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I'm a fan of stihl chainsaws. I have 2X 026's,1X MS 290, 1X MS230C, and a small echo. I use the 026's the most, and I've had them about 15 years.

11. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

The previous saw I had I bought in 95 . a 039 stihl . I cut about 4-5 cord a year . It started to die last summer . It was still running but trying to lock up . The local dealer told me that due to ethanol it had shortened it's life. I bought the current model equivilent which is a MS390. I now run premium synthetic stihl 2 stroke mix with premium no ehthanol gas . It rip snorts like a mad dog.

12. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Best deal for the buck is the Stihl 290 with an 18" bar. If your shoulder is getting creaky, look at their Easy2Start series, which does not require jerking the rope to start. I've used my MS 290 for years, dropping and bucking trees and making firewood. I got the MS 250C after my shoulder surgery. It has the easy start feature. Anything you can't drop with an 18" bar should probably be sold as a sawlog - you don't need to have a bar bigger than the the log to get the job done.

I have never even adjusted the carburetor on the 290. Keep the chain sharp (thank you Dremel!), the sprocket and bar in good shape, and the thing just runs. I use winter weight chain in cold weather.

I used to have a McCulloch. When their quality started going downhill, the local dealer switched to Stihl (sold at servicing dealers only, BTW) but still supplied parts for McCullochs. I took mine in for a chain brake once and the old Amishman who owns the place made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He handed me the MS290 they had on display and told me that if I ran two tanks of fuel through it and didn't like it, he would buy it back at full price. He's never seen it since. I just go there for oil, bars, sprockets, and chains.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  13. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

the more I'm thinking and looking around I'm liking the farm boss 290

14. chesterwin

chesterwin Moderator Staff Member

You wouldn't want advise from me on this topic. I favor the old magnesium body Homelites. You've got to like to tinker, but they will do some cutting!

15. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Good call! The name is not nearly so important as that 290 designation.

They ran a special production run of them several years so they could sell them at a good price, the things took off, and Stihl never looked back.

Mine has a 16" bar and I have found it more than adequate, but the 18" might be handier for you. If you're used to running chain saws, ask for the non-safety chain, with the yellow paint code. They cut a little more agressively than the anti-kickback ones with the green paint splotch.

My daughter got me a hardhat/face shield/earmuff unit for Christmas. Very nice!

16. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

Farm Boss is a good all around medium duty cutting tool...like say the kind of work you would do on a FARM

Im a Stihl fan....Huskys are ok but I prefer Stihl.

Poulans, McCormicks...etc etc are 98% crap 98% of the time.

That being said, I have a lil McCormick I payed 30$ for used like 5 years ago...I cant kill it and it's perfect for small trash jobs I wont use Stihls for.

I dont care if I pinch it, run it into rocks, or cut wire with it.

Im still on same bar and same chain....the lil sucker wont die!

But...buy the Stihl if you can, and DONT run ethanol gas in it...and USE stihl gasoil mix...and a QUALITY bar oil.

If you do use ethanol...dont store it in it, run it dry, or dump the gas out and run it dry, then store it.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Purchased two Husqvarna's when I purchased my 40 acres. I purchased them from Sears. Couldn't get either one of them to start. I tried to remove the spark plugs and it was like they were welded into the engine! I took them back to Sears and Sears couldn't get them started or remove the spark plugs! Long story short, I purchased a Stihl pole saw and a Stihl chainsaw. Both start 1st or 2nd pull and never give me any trouble. Just my 2 cents......

18. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

those Stihl 16' polesaws are HEAVENLY aint they!

just got to be 100% CAREFUL to not pinch them, undercuts is name of the game.

I can drop 5 hours of haul-off labor in 20 minutes of polesaw run-time lol

trailer load of limbs in just a couple seconds

19. aht_six

aht_six G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

We've been required to use ethanol blended fuel for a long time, I'd guess 20 years. Non-oxygenated fuel is available for classic cars and off highway use, but very few stations sell it. I use ethanol blended fuel in my Stihl chainsaw all the time, the Echo brand oil I use includes a fuel stabilizer. I haven't had any problems with ethanol damaging fuel lines or carburetor components for many years. I certainly would not leave ethanol blended fuel in the tank for years at a time, but I wouldn't worry about using it in anything that has been manufactured in the last 15 years either.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Heck, I've found myself cutting almost everything with it! When you extend it out, your arms start squalling after a while! LOL! I purchase only the best chains as most of my wood is oak, and sometimes sparks fly when cutting away dead wood!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted