Looking for Detachable Magazine's for SKS

Discussion in 'SKS' started by Sober, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

I've recently looked on CDNN at some 40/30 Rd looks like Metal Replacement Magazines an they were 20 bucks. But i looked up reviews on these metal "replacement" magz and have seen some TERRIBLE reviews. My little brother got the Tapco Polymer ones with the Metal Floorplate and Says they are very nice. They Are 17.99 for a 20 rd mag. Which one iin you guy's opinion would be the better mags to buy? I mean I kind of like the box mag that came attached to the SKS when i bought it but i want to have a couple of Detachables just incase.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    gsbuickman likes this.
  2. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

You might read in the SKS stickes before you chose to get that mag

luck

3. LKermit

LKermit G&G Newbie

Sober:

I have both types of mags, in both 20 and 30 round capacities. There are a lot of junk 20's and junk 30's, and some run like clock-work, both polymer and metal.

What is key (at least, in my case) is the ability to troubleshoot the types of magazines you might end up with. There is generally some "tweaking" that must be done, whether polymer or metal, and that sometimes involves trimming some wood from your stock, in the case of Tapco's very nicely made polymer mags, or carefully bending the feed "lips" of the metal mags.

Since neither style was the original design or intent, you should assume that some work will be involved to get them to "run" as you wish. I have spent some serious hours working out the kinks of both styles, and am very happy with the results.

I have been both lucky and unlucky when acquiring the metal magazines, but I have learned a thing or two that I happily share:

Look for the heavier metal ones, not the light, cheap-feeling ones, and pay close attention to the bolt hold-open tab, at the rear of the polymer follower of the metal mags; bigger is usually better, since the smaller, badly formed tabs often won't reliably hold the bolt back safely when he mag is empty. Good fit and finish will tell a lot about the manufacture, also.

Expect to a few pay more $ for the better metal magazines, which typically will hold 30 to 37 rounds and feed more reliably, and I would recommend the Tapco polymer ones above any other, the only complaint being they only offer 20 rounds per mag. In metal, the mags stamped "USA" seem to be superior, but are getting hard to locate, since they are no longer being made, according to those more "in the know" than I.

I hope this will help you with your selection!

KTF

jwrauch likes this.
  4. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I have a pile of sks mags that are junk, both polymer and steel. Tapco seems to be the only ones that work most of the time

5. IMH1

IMH1 G&G Newbie

Rifle Tech makes a nice mag, it's rugged, reliable, duck bill less, and made in U.S.A. it's only $70 for a 30 rd. mag, That's the best aftermarket hi capacity mag for sks

6. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Why?

7. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

FED LAW: 922r

Sticky submission: SKS legalities - What you can change and what it takes

8. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  9. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

This is a well asked question and lots of answers. My understanding is that feds allowed skss into country as they were built. If you change things around like adding that mag.The rifle then has to meet 922r specs, how ever some chinaese weapons were made to use removeable mags. Those rifles are fine as to 922r Law. Google 922r my best advice.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  10. LKermit

LKermit G&G Newbie

11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

And don't assume a Tapco is any better than the others. A 20 rounder plastic one absolutely refused to work in my Yugo SKS, and I was not about to start to whittle on the pristine wood furniture to get it to work.

12. azgunnut01

azgunnut01 G&G Addict

I've been lucky with the Tapco magazines. I have about 6 of them and use them on 2 different SKSs (both Chinese). They all work well with no problems.

13. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

the Tapco s are the only ones that I can get to work on any of my Yugos.

14. King Armory

King Armory G&G Newbie

TAPCO mags work good in most SKS's, but the absolute best magazine is the old "USA" brand mags. They've been out of production for years, but you can find them on E-bay or Gunbroker quite often. They are well-built and made from heavier gauge metal than the crap you see on CDNN and at the gunshows. I've amassed a pile of about 30 of those USA mags over the years and still scoop them up when I come across some.

15. gandog56

Yet absolutely refused to work in mine. I wonder why?

16. pico

pico G&G Newbie

If you change the stock to a tapco one and then use the 20 or 30 round mags, they fit great. I have a few tarted up SKS' that have the Tapco stocks, and the 20 round mags are the way to go. They allow you to shoot prone much more comfortably, and do not give me any problems. If they give you issues using a wooden stock and you would prefer to not mod your stock, then get the chinese 20 round magazine that is not removable. These work great, from my limited experience.

17. King Armory

King Armory G&G Newbie

The magazine in a Yugo SKS sits a little lower IIRC, tends to make it unreliable with aftermarket mags or non-Yugo factory mags.

18. gandog56

Did I mention the pristine wood furniture on mine I was not about to change?

19. joe stentiford

joe stentiford G&G Newbie

BOSTON
    Sorry for hijacking post but i have a question.

Does anyone know a brand or where to get 30rd preban pre1994 sks magazines?

20. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist