close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking For Savage .250-3000 Ammo. . . .

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by FalconEddy, Nov 16, 2012.

1. FalconEddy

FalconEddy G&G Newbie

Hello All, thought I'd get more hits in this forum. Just got my dad's/grandfather's 1950 Model 99EG .250-3000 a couple a weeks ago; but didn't measure the twist rate until today. Unfortunately, it's a 1:14, so we're looking at the ability to only stabilize 87 grain loads. I know this to be true because dad would miss plenty of deer at 200+ yards with 100 and 120 grain Remington Core Lokt PSP ammo, and sighting in at 100 yards would be "all over the **** place", as he'd say. Now I know why. I also know why the Winchester 100 grain Super-X Silvertips would stabilize fairly well. They're shorter, and shaped basically like a round nose, plus that semi-radiused silvertip cap was made of lightweight aluminum. Others have told me this was the ONLY 100 grain bullet that they ever got to stabilize at 100 to 200 yards in the Savage .250-3000 with a 1:14 twist. Most likely for the exact reasons I've given. Since Winchester just ceased production of this cartridge (****!!!), does anyone know of a place that still might have a backstock of a perhaps three or four boxes of these cartridges? If not, has anyone used the 87 grain Hornady SP bullet for whitetails? I've had several emails from Washington state, to Nebraska, Texas, Ohio, Virginia, and Pennsylvania telling me that up to 125-150 yards, they'll do the job just fine with a well-placed vitals shot, since they expand and break up into 6 to 10 pieces, shredding through the vitals area. Trying to find a box of 87 grain loaded ammo for this rifle, even on a well-stocked gunsmith's shelf, is an absolute joke these days, and when grandpa owned it, they probably couldn't keep it in stock because they kept running out. Well, that's what happened after Winchester released the .243, sad... but true. Then, all the manufacturers slowed down production, until we got to where we are today, and that's not good for those of us that don't hand load our own ammo, and can't find what we need when we go shopping for ammo. Any insight you seasoned people can provide on these .250-3000 ammo avenues will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Is there a bass pro shop near they have it also academy and gander mountain and Dicks.
    Steve

3. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Evangelist

5. FalconEddy

FalconEddy G&G Newbie

What?? C'mon Guys. . . .

Not to sound ungrateful, but did any of you guys take the time to read my post. It was long for a reason. If you only read the title, you missed everything that was important.

I CAN'T USE 100 GRAIN REMINGTON PSP AMMO, OR HIGHER, BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE A 1:14 TWIST FOR THE BARREL'S RIFLING.

Plus, three of the places some people sent me don't even carry .250 Savage ammo at all! And one place that's labeled the ammo as SP is actually PSP, and he's out of the 87 grain anyway. WTF!

If I wanted to find another dead end or useless site, I could have kept searching on my own. I came here because this site was highly recommended as having some of the best 'go-to' guys on the internet, who would listen to my issue, and point me towards a place that could offer me a proper resolution.

If that wasn't true, please let me know now so I can move along someplace else.

. . Falcon

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

ouch. Well, you might not be getting a lot of help after that. Yes, your post was long, maybe there is a problem with that. How about, "I need 87 gr. ammo for my Savage 250-3000. Does anyone know who stocks loaded ammo in that bullet weight?"

Now, how about reloading since that's not so common. Midway USA has all the brass, bullets (in your desired weight), dies and everything you'd need to 'roll your own'.

I don't have one of those, so I don't know who might have loaded ammo in 87 gr. Midway sells only 100gr loaded ammo for 250 Savage. You might try that weight for yourself.

Cheers.

7. aris_unlimited

aris_unlimited G&G Evangelist

Looks like reloading is in your future. Of course if you keep pissing in everyone cheerios you might have a hard time finding that stuff too.

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

9. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Appreciate the mans plight but I would just say screw it and trade for a 243 Win. and eliminate all the Bullsh**

10. Weamski

Weamski G&G Newbie

I have two boxes of .250-3000 ammo for sale. One is Western Super-X 100 grain, the other is Winchester Silvertip 100 grain. Interested?

11. Weamski

Weamski G&G Newbie

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted