Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the browsing stage of finding what I want in a air rifle .
I don't like break action spring rifles. I would prefer 177 caliber but would consider others. would like a pneumatic but would consider a pre charge. I prefer a longer sight picture than those that place the rear sight mid rifle. Would prefer to keep it under $ 400.00
Any suggestions or insights ?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Just caught that review of the Umarex Ruger 10/22 .177 CO 2 pellet gun in the May issue of Guns&Ammo. Will hold 2 CO 2 cartridges. Sure looks like a Ruger 10/22. MSRP is $130. Just a thought. Have not had one myself since my Sheridan Blue Streak. Plenty of choices out there for sure.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just saw that 10/22 clone at cabelas. Neat, but up to 150$ right now. I don’t need a 10/22 clone.
My old crossman single shot pump pistol is great, and accurate. 177 cal. Way more accurate than any air rifle I have shot. Couple Benjamin’s I picked up cheap at swap meets are decent shooters, kind of look like an SKS.
I do have a gamo and a gamo clone break barrel, but I too just don’t favor break barrel designs.
Hatsan has some cool looking guns out, but I am leery of them, too many problems from what I have heard. Never owned one though, so do your own research too.

·
Premium Member
9,625 Posts
It would be hard for me to suggest one certain rifle in pellet. I have about 20 different rifles and air pistols. Most are break open single shot but a few are 10 pump. It depends on the individual because many of these rifles now do about the same. Most are at least a 1000 FPS now with 22 cal. and 1200-1400 FPS in 177 pellet. Also the PBA non lead pellets shoot faster. It depends also how much power you need and what you are using the rifle for. If for varmints or small game I would not use a 177 but a 22. There is a big selection of hunting pellets for the 22. I have a 10 Pump Benjamin Franklin in 22 and has taken so many squirrels and other stuff and scoped. Nice little carbine and also I have a Silver streak in 25 Caliber pellet. You can gat a break open one pump rifle and pay anywhere from about $100 to $200. I have Gamo, Crossman, a few Winchester and other brands and most do the same honestly. I would however recommend buying a nice rifle scope for it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Weirauch PCP or springer; be aware that many PCPs have no open sights

In .20", best compromise calibre

Fit a Gamo diopter, (cheap), on the rear scope rails for a long site base

Whole new ballgame!

·
Registered
889 Posts
My buddy swears by the Winchester break open in 22. He has killed about 50 squirrels with it that he feeds to the momma red fox that has a litter behind his house year after year. His came with a scope and he says is good to 40 yards. He has killed deer beyond a quarter mile and seldom misses any hunting. I take his recommendation as good as any review I would read on-line. I think it was about $200 for the gun and scope package.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts