Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I'm brand new to hunting, guns etc... The only gun I've ever had is a (rather powerful) pellet gun.

Anyways, rather than getting something modern, I was thinking it'd be awesome to get a WW2 rifle (I thought about getting a Garand but Mosins and K98s are a LOT cheaper and frankly more interesting to me historically).

Anyways, I've heard that when buying Russian built Mosins (91/30s AND M44s) it's more or less random as to whether you get an accurate rifle or not (apparentally a lot of them were badly maintained or something).

Does anyone have any advice. Like I said I have NO expertise on this sort of thing so it's not like I can go in to a store and examine the gun and make up my mind.

Is there anywhere that sells only reliable, accurate Mosins? Note that I DO want to use it for hunting, but I also want to have an authentic "used in WW2" gun because I'm a huge history buff.

Failing that, is there any way to buy a Finnish M39 that was actually issued (maybe even used in the Winter War?)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Hey all.

I'm brand new to hunting, guns etc... The only gun I've ever had is a (rather powerful) pellet gun.

Anyways, rather than getting something modern, I was thinking it'd be awesome to get a WW2 rifle (I thought about getting a Garand but Mosins and K98s are a LOT cheaper and frankly more interesting to me historically).

Anyways, I've heard that when buying Russian built Mosins (91/30s AND M44s) it's more or less random as to whether you get an accurate rifle or not (apparentally a lot of them were badly maintained or something).

Does anyone have any advice. Like I said I have NO expertise on this sort of thing so it's not like I can go in to a store and examine the gun and make up my mind.

Is there anywhere that sells only reliable, accurate Mosins? Note that I DO want to use it for hunting, but I also want to have an authentic "used in WW2" gun because I'm a huge history buff.

Failing that, is there any way to buy a Finnish M39 that was actually issued (maybe even used in the Winter War?)
Pretty much anything dated prior to 1944 would have a good chance of seeing action. That would include the 1944 issued M44's. Obviously anything issued after 1945 is not likely to have seen WWII combat.

The M38's were the actual war carbines, with the 91/30's being the most common WWII issue for Russian troops. That said, there are a lot of 1944 issued M44 out there as well (the two I ordered from AIM were 1944's and shoot very well).

Have fun.

Most of the M38's I have seen are counter-bored, but the two that I have fired were pretty accurate. All of the 91/30's (3) I have fired have been accurate as well.

My 1947 M44 has a scout-scope mounted and is real accurate at 100 yards as is the 1948 M44 (without scope)

·
Registered
980 Posts
just give them a close look. I got mine at a gunshow 1945 M44 brand new never issued. still in the cosmaline and brown paper. shots great. best $80 i ever spent.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
And you can't always 100-percent tell how a gun will shoot by the condition of the bore, either. I have a Rumanian Instructee 91/30 with a bore that looks like nine miles of bad road, and it shoots fine. The only thing I can figure is that when the bullet skitters down the barrel, all the high points it bounces off in between the pits sort of average out...:)

Seriously, just about any Mosin you get should be minute-of-pie-plate accurate at a couple of hundred yards, and most will do considerably better. Unless you're going after antelope on the High Plains, they should be plenty accurate for hunting.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Also for a little more money there is the Swiss K-31 rifles. They have a good rep.
The K98's and Mosin-Nagant's can do the job if it's a good one. Check out before buying and get the best you can.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with Dwarren, the Swiss K-31 is probably the most accurate rifle of its time. They go for around 150+, I love mine it shoots excellent. Only down side is that Norma is the only one who makes hunting ammo for it. They tend to be pricey because of their super high quality.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,326 Posts
Nothing wrong with Mosins but I also agree on the K31...I have two...a beech and a walnut...awesomely accurate with GP-11 ammo which is still pentiful and is match grade ( $28/60)

I am going to get the St. Marie Graphics no gunsmith scope mount and a scope for the walnut...

I have around 1,500 rds of the GP-11 stashed away...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Damn 1500rds I'm dry. Mine hasn't been shot for at least a month now. I guess i am going to have to take a trip to the gun shop and pick up some GP11:09:

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Here's a quite intense forum focusing pretty much on the Nagant.
Warning...these guys are purists with the rifle.
The Russian Mosin Nagant Forums - Index
Can't say they don't give fair warning, though: "...Please understand that many of our users do not condone sporterizing so those types of posts may not get a warm response."

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
have a Rumanian Instructee 91/30 with a bore that looks like nine miles of bad road, and it shoots fine. The only thing I can figure is that when the bullet skitters down the barrel, all the high points it bounces off in between the pits sort of average out...:)
LOL Troy!

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Cerebrus, welcome to G&G. Pretty much any M\N that has been rearsenalled will be fine for your purposes. The wartime production guns are much rougher finished than non-wartime guns-you can really see how quickly they were rushing production on them. Personally, I prefer the models without the bayonet ie: 91\30, M-38, M-91\59. The M-44 is the most common and usually cheapest based on sheer numbers produced, but they have permanently attached bayonet hanging off the side of the barrel. The suggestions for a Swiss K-31 are fine, but that gun was never used in battle. For a first-time purchase, I'd go for either a rearsenalled 91\30 or a Yugo Mauser. The ammo for the M\N is a bit easier to find at present, but keep in mind, almost all non-U.S. surplus ammo is corrosive so you'll have to clean religiously after shooting it or you'll end up with a barrel full of rust.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nothing wrong with Mosins but I also agree on the K31...I have two...a beech and a walnut...awesomely accurate with GP-11 ammo which is still pentiful and is match grade ( $28/60)

I am going to get the St. Marie Graphics no gunsmith scope mount and a scope for the walnut...

I have around 1,500 rds of the GP-11 stashed away...
Joe how do you tell the difference in the wood, I have looked but they all look the same to me. here is a pic of my K-31, can you tell which wood it is?

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
If you guys like the Swiss, you should give a Swede a try!

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,326 Posts
Beech is blondish color...walnut is a dark brown.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts