Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a mosin and wanted some general info. Now, I've done a lot of research but i still would like first-hand tips/experiences etc. from you guys. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have the 91/30 and M44 and despite what others say about having tack drivers mine do not nor is it uncommon to have them shoot 3" groups at 50 yards. And I said 50 yards. They're a well made rifle that is currently selling cheap as is the ammo.

I stayed away from non brass esp non brass heavy bullets and have never had the sticky bolt problem.

They're a historical battle weapon that I am proud to own and I will pick up an M38 in the future.

If you get a tack driver count your blessing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 44 will hit a small balloon at fifty yards. My eyes aren't good enough, but probably it can shoot better.

It has been super reliable, easy to clean and maintain even for a noob, and is just generally a really cool and fun rifle to have. I've never had the sticky bolt even shooting laquered Brown Bear ammo. I'll definitely be getting a 9130 when I get the spare cash and when Gander gets one in as good shape as my 44.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
as a rule they are not real accurate.
but they are super cheap and a lot of fun!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got lucky and have a 91/30 that is as accurate as I am, but I'm no sharpshooter. I also have an M44 and M38. Out of all of them, the 91/30 is by far the most accurate with the least recoil. Killer said he likes the brass cased stuff. My 44 is the only one of mine that likes brass cased stuff. The others get sticky bolt with it. I like the Czech heavy ball myself. You can't go wrong with a mosin for the price, just find what ammo works best for your specific gun and you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I was lucky and got to choose from a large crate of 91/30's and chose the best bore. The stock wasn't pretty and the finish had a few marks on it. All she needed was some TLC. Just like every other mosin, mine had the sticky bolt, but its loosened up.
There's no doubt that this rifle shoots better than I can and as long as a gun has this quality, it's accurate in my book. Also, for future reference, don't be scared away from the corrosive ammo. It's still good and very cheap. Just be sure to clean the bore out in short order with hot water or Hoppes #9.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My first Mosin was a M44. I got a great price on it, but it was also packed in cosmoline. When I cleaned it up, it was not in as good shape as advertised. I since learned to pay a little more for rifles in excellent condition.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have three M91/30s, and they all shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I guess I just got lucky. Mine all have scopes, as my eyes are 56 years old.

I only shoot my handloads in these rifles, I have nothing against military surplus ammo, I just like to load'em myself.

So my advice is to buy ONE, and be careful of the cosmoline. If it gets on your skin, orunde your fingernails, you could very well develope a case of "MOSINITAS". It is uncurable, but the "suffering" can be controlled by bying more Mosin Nagants. (LOL)

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
All I can say, which my avatar must suggest, I love my Mosins. I have six, and will soon have No. seven, a M38. Yes I do have Mosinitis. But I am not alone, OTHERS will come. Most Mosins you will find are accurate enough and are a hoot to shoot. The 91/30's in the norm are usually more accurate than a M44 and do not have excessive recoil. However the M44's are not bad, and in most cases are fairly accurate, and a ton of fun to shoot. The M44's are, bottom line, a shoulder cannon. The noise, the fire out the barrel, and the recoil, is impressive. I like both of them, and No. 7 will most likely not be my last purchase. When you go shopping, take a round of 7.62x54R with you. Check the bore on the little end. You can tell if it has been counter bored or shot out(should hang on the rifling and not fall in). Then open the bolt all the way back and pull the trigger and remove the bolt. Hold that baby up to the light and take a gander at the bore itself. Use your good judgment on the way it looks. Check the bolt to be complete and for fit. Check serial numbers. Matching NO.'s on receiver, bolt, and foot plate preferable. Check the Mosin for overall looks,stock, finish Ect. If you are 80% satisfied on the way it looks, or develop a case of Mosinitis, buy that cotton picker and about 1200 rounds of ammo AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!! This is just basics. As much as I have messed with the Mosin There are folks on this site that put me to shame on knowledge of this fine firearm, but basically, check one over, use a little common sense, and you will have a quality firearm that is affordable to own and buy ammo for. And a BLAST to shoot. Wow, I'm wore out, somebody else jump in.....
Check out all the Mosin Pics on the site..Fun to look at..Here are mine... Two M44's and Two 91/30's(one with ATI stock and scope) and another M44 and a sniper copy. Great gun, super fun. In MY OPINION :AR15firing:
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I guess my next question is: obviously--from what I've heard--the m44 has excessive recoil; does the m38?

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I guess my next question is: obviously--from what I've heard--the m44 has excessive recoil; does the m38?
and the answer is YES! they both kick like a rented mule!
go ahead and get one .
get a rubber buttpad while you are at it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am with billy. I shot my first M44 when I was 19 and have been hooked since. So I have been messin around with them on and off for ten years. I like the M44 the recoil is stout and the muzzle flash is crazy, the gun is louder than alot of the ones I have shot. When I first took one to a range there were only 2 people who knew what it was! They said things like don't you think that thing might be alittle unsafe. (Given it's age) I just said only if you stand at the end of the barrel LOL. After one shot they were gathering around and looking for there earplugs or muffs. I bet a ran 50 rnds thru it that day and no one said anything about it again the next time I was out there. I have never had any troubles with sticking bolts or corrosive ammo. I used either mil-surp ammo or the Wolf ammo. Just clean it up good no matter what ammo you use ASAP after you go shooting and you shouldn't have any troubles. Oh another note on the recoil. I shot mine without a butt pad on it and I will admit at first my shoulder was black and blue but once you get the hang of it you should be able to overcome the recoil blues. keep it against your shoulder TIGHT. Aim steady and squeeze the trigger! You won't be dissapointed!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The limb saver pads work amazingly well. The small size fits. First time I shot mine I had no pad, hurt after less than ten rounds. Taped a sponge to it the next day, was able to shoot a bit more but it was still bad. The limb saver really works. I still get scared and close my eyes at the last second sometimes though.

As for the noise, I was shotting 22s all day, switched to the 44, my brother came out of the cabin and said "I hate that thing".

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
FWIW, if you find a nice M-38 (especially in the un-notched M-38 stock), I'd jump on it as they are drying up faster than the rest. Don't worry about recoil, over time, the more you shoot, the less it hurts ya. The Finns are the most desireable and generally most accurate but my M-44 is very accurate. As a general rule, late wartime guns will be rougher finished and less accurate than pre-war guns. Polish-made guns are excellent as well.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
The limb saver pads work amazingly well. The small size fits. First time I shot mine I had no pad, hurt after less than ten rounds. Taped a sponge to it the next day, was able to shoot a bit more but it was still bad. The limb saver really works. I still get scared and close my eyes at the last second sometimes though.

As for the noise, I was shotting 22s all day, switched to the 44, my brother came out of the cabin and said "I hate that thing".
anything that can get your brother to say he hates it....stock up on ammo!:09:

there is nothing subtle about the mosin nagant.
heavy
crude
overbuilt
powerful
LOUD!
whats not to like?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I only shoot my handloads in these rifles, I have nothing against military surplus ammo, I just like to load'em myself.
Nick
I know this is an old thread but i was just relookin it i was wonderin where do u get ur berdan primers and wht grain u load into ur ammo

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I know this is an old thread but i was just relookin it i was wonderin where do u get ur berdan primers and wht grain u load into ur ammo
Berdan primers are hard to find and not worth the hassle. Just getting the primers out is a pain.

Stick with Boxer primed brass.:)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Nice rifle TSF. Looks like an after-market cut-down 91/30. What year is on the receiver?

Needs a scope...:09:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Berdan primers are hard to find and not worth the hassle. Just getting the primers out is a pain.

Stick with Boxer primed brass.:)
Well thanx geo u r a big help since i have been lookin for berdan primers for a few months now and in about ten minutes i found boxer primers for a good price! i thank u again for saving me a bunch of heartache and still wonderin if u have any specifics with wht grain u load into them!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts