Loose gas tube?

Discussion in 'SKS' started by nightmare905, Sep 14, 2010.

1. nightmare905

nightmare905 G&G Newbie

Hello, I just purchased a romanian SKS from AIM. The rifle is beautiful but I noticed that the gas tube and top hand guard is rather loose. It wiggles from side to side. I was wondering if this is normal on SKSs or should it be firm like the hand guard on an AK? If its isnt normal what could I do to fix the problem?

2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

First, congrats on your buy! I watched helplessly as they were all bought up. I wanted one but can't afford it right now...anyway. Does the steel tube itself move, or is it just the wooden handguard over it? The metal shouldn't rattle at all. It doesn't matter if you can forcibly move it just barely if you try, but it should be tight enough not to rattle just from moving the rifle around. The rod inside SHOULD move just slightly. Not much, but if you shake the rifle, it will rattle a tad. If your tube is loose, I'm not sure. You might try wrapping some thin steel wire around the gas port right in front the tube.

3. nightmare905

nightmare905 G&G Newbie

Thanks, yeah I was rather lucky. I got my hands on one of the last 5.

The tube itself is what wiggles and the handguard with it since they are attached together. I might try the steel wire thing, but is there anything else I could possible do?

4. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

hand guard

My first SKS did the same. When I shot it, it would jam (short recoil) every time. I took it in my basement, wrapped the front end, gas port with duct tape and fired a round. Fire blew the duct tape to pieces. Problem i guess caused by improper disassembly to many times, warped gas tube in process. Solution-I just went and bought a new gas tube. Escaping gas around gas tube caused not enough energy to function the drive rod to forced the bolt backwards. Former small arms repairman=US Army Viet nam 67-68.

5. nightmare905

nightmare905 G&G Newbie

Hmm, Im worried that a loose tube would cause gas to escape the way you describe it. I think Im going to take her to the range and see if it ends up being something I can ignore for now. If by any chance I decided to purchase a new tube, should I look at surplus ones or brand new american made ones? If I go the american route, do I have to play the 922 parts game?

6. First make sure the little lever that locks it forward is all the way down.

Also, if you haven't already, try taking it off and then putting it back on, just to see if it fixes it or not?

If not, then the only thing you can do is as already mentioned and pick up another gas tube.

7. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I think you should look for a Surplus if you can. Russian and Chinese should work with yours as far as I know. If you do put an American on, you will have to play 922.

8. Mine had a little bit of play when i bought it. the tube was snug but it kinda twisted a little bit. Had no problems. I've seen a lot of stock sks' that have play in the gas tube.

9. nightmare905

nightmare905 G&G Newbie

What is your definition of "little"? Because when I use only my index and thumb to grab the handguard, it moves pretty easily with little to close to no effort. Should I just man up and enjoy my gun and quit worrying about these little cosmetic nuisances?

10. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I discovered two things a loose gas tube does..... Cause short strokes and messes with accuracy. Get a 3rd party tube, CAREFULLY fit it very tightly... End of problem. It DOES make a difference.

We all know that free-floating a barrel improves accuracy, however with the SKS, you have to take the opposite approach. Bed it firmly all the way out. make sure your gas tube fits so tight, that you almost have to pull it off with a leather strap and a rubber mallot. Tightening them up seems to work wonders for the accuracy.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  11. Have you called AIM, maybe they have some extra parts and can accomodate you.

If not maybe you can find a longer surplus gas tube, the aftermarket chinese ones are file to fit but if you can find one that is very close to the original you should be ok. I am referencing a letter from the BATF here, if anything has some good info http://www.murraysguns.com/download/batfe.pdf

12. take it to the range and shoot it. bet it cycles

13. nightmare905

nightmare905 G&G Newbie

I contacted AIM they said the best they could do for me it refund me my money and return the rifle...I like it to much to do such a thing. Ill just suck it up and get a replacement tube IF it has problems cycling/later on when funding is available. Ill try to get some pics of the rifle for you guys ;)

14. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I bought an NCstar tube that has a picatinny instead of a handguard. I removed the picatinny and took a couple of hours to carefully fit it. Works real well. I got it on sale for $24 and I think I got it from either AIM or Cheaper than dirt, can't really remember.

15. nightmare905

nightmare905 G&G Newbie

So the rail on that NCstar tube cant be removed like the stock one(lots of filing and grinding I presume)? I might look into it for that price, its significantly cheaper than the others out there, even the surplus ones.

16. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Yes it can, It's held on by screws and comes off easily.

17. nightmare905

nightmare905 G&G Newbie

I have one more question for you Dragunov, does the original wood hand guard fit onto that NCstar tube without a problem? Reason I ask is because I want to keep it in its original communist configuration :D

18. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Unfortunately, no. You have a bare gas tube which actually looks really cool on mine. You can always keep the original and put it back on whenever you like.

19. nightmare905

nightmare905 G&G Newbie

Hmm, so it wouldnt fit with the NCstar, but how about a gastube from tapco?

20. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I don't know, I don't use Tapco stuff.