Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bolt of my 1938 91/30 can be rotated with the touch of a finger. I suspect excess wear on the rear of the bolt lugs. I have ordered a new bolt head from eBay and will post if this resolves the issue. I realize that most deal with a "sticky" bolt, but I am dealing with the opposite. The rifle has been headspace checked and is within tolerance.

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
wear on the bolt lugs is excess head space.
the round headspaces on the rim.

you can take a magic marker and wipe it on the back of the bolt lugs then close and open the bolt, you will see where or if it is making contact.
if you don't have any contact there it's time to not use the rifle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wear on the bolt lugs is excess head space.
the round headspaces on the rim.

you can take a magic marker and wipe it on the back of the bolt lugs then close and open the bolt, you will see where or if it is making contact.
if you don't have any contact there it's time to not use the rifle.
The new bolt head should fix it then. I'll know on Wednesday

·
Premium Member
23,972 Posts
I don't. I had the original checked by a gunsmith and it passed. I'll probably have thos one done the same way.
I bought a set of the Go and No-Go gauges for those Mosins a few years ago but I really don't know where they are right now. I just did a little looking in some of the usual spots and didn't find them. I loaned them out a few times and maybe didn't get them back is a possibility too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a set of the Go and No-Go gauges for those Mosins a few years ago but I really don't know where they are right now. I just did a little looking in some of the usual spots and didn't find them. I loaned them out a few times and maybe didn't get them back is a possibility too.
In my experience, loaning something is the surest way to never see something again.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm going to assume that you are referring to the bolt handle being easy to lift while in the rifle. If the headspace is good then no need to replace the bolt head. Check the length of the firing pin spring, many people lopped off a turn or three thinking it a good way to reduce trigger pull. Realistically, drag on the lugs should be minimal, when you lift the bolt handle you are rotating the rear of the bolt body against the cocking piece on the rear of the bolt assembly. The mating surfaces there and the firing pin spring are what really dictates the effort that it takes to lift the bolt handle.

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
While looking for the gauges I did find another stash. Even got some Finn pieces in this pile. View attachment 109408
Nice. I would be very excited to find that. Feels like its Christmas. You have plenty of firing pins and some nice receivers there. I have quite a few spare parts also put away. I know I bought 3 complete bolts years ago and new. No they are not receivers but rear sights

·
Premium Member
23,972 Posts
No they are not receivers but rear sights
Yep, some rear sight parts for a M39 Finn if memory serves me correctly. I don't know why I bought the > > > I guess though because I had some money and they were available. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to assume that you are referring to the bolt handle being easy to lift while in the rifle. If the headspace is good then no need to replace the bolt head. Check the length of the firing pin spring, many people lopped off a turn or three thinking it a good way to reduce trigger pull. Realistically, drag on the lugs should be minimal, when you lift the bolt handle you are rotating the rear of the bolt body against the cocking piece on the rear of the bolt assembly. The mating surfaces there and the firing pin spring are what really dictates the effort that it takes to lift the bolt handle.
If the bolt head doesn't fix it, the firing pin spring will be next. I can't have a bolt that will swing open unintentionally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the bolt head isn't the issue. I switched it out with the new one today and nothing changed. Gonna try a new spring and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I have a set too with go, no-go, and field gauges. At various times I have owned 21 Mosin Nagants, and have not had one single one of them fail headspace I also have gauges for .303 British and I think a set for 8X56R.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,206 Posts
Well, the bolt head isn't the issue. I switched it out with the new one today and nothing changed. Gonna try a new spring and see if that fixes it.
This is going to sound silly, but have you checked the locking groove? Sometimes enough gunk accumulates there that the locking lugs on the bolt head can't lock in properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I
This is going to sound silly, but have you checked the locking groove? Sometimes enough gunk accumulates there that the locking lugs on the bolt head can't lock in properly.
Haven't checked it. The bolt closes completely. It just opens easier than I am comfortable with. When I close the bolt, I want it to stay closed until I open it intentionally. Right now, if my hand brushes the bolt jandlh upwards, it will rotate. If it rotates more than a quarter inch, it will not fire. It will click, but not make contact with the primer.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Is there a manual available for the mosin in English? I would love a tech-spec manual to be able to reference when doing any maintenance or for basic info purposes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts