Los Angeles First City in Nation to Vote to Ban 50 Caliber Sniper Rifles

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips Guest

50 cal "Sniper" rifle....unlike the Plinker modle it has "Sniper" on the stock, one shot one kill etched on the reciever and comes with a built in body counter...the plinker modle does not....notice this is band under the "Assult" rilfe ban....hum 50 cal bmg..30 round mag...sime / full auto assult rifle??????? oh well what do you expect from PRK.

Los Angeles First City in Nation to Vote to Ban 50 Caliber Sniper Rifles
    WASHINGTON, DC—The Violence Policy Center (VPC) today applauded the Los Angeles City Council for passing a ban on the sale and possession of 50 caliber sniper rifles. This marks the first time that a legislative body has voted to ban these weapons of war. The groundbreaking measure was sponsored by Councilman Mark Ridley-Thomas and passed unanimously.

The legislative effort, which received strong support from the LA Police Department, was spearheaded by the Violence Prevention Coalition of Greater Los Angeles, aided by the Pacific Center for Violence Prevention, and based on research by the Violence Policy Center (VPC).

"With today's unanimous vote to ban 50 caliber sniper rifles, the City of Los Angeles has sent a very strong and clear message to California and the rest of the nation: We must bring these weapons of death and destruction under control," Tom Diaz, VPC senior policy analyst states.

The Council instructed the City Attorney to model the new measure regulating 50 caliber sniper weapons on the city ordinance restricting the sale and possession of assault weapons. The VPC was the first organization in the country to alert the American public to the dangers of 50 caliber sniper rifles on the civilian market with its landmark 1999 study, One Shot, One Kill: Civilian Sales of Military Sniper Rifles.

The 50 caliber sniper rifle is an extremely powerful weapon which uses high-caliber ammunition at distances averaging between 400 and 1,700 yards. These same military armaments—designed and sold for the express purpose of killing people and disabling key command and control outposts—are now freely available across America's gun shop counters. As a result, this ideal tool for assassination and destruction is now easily accessible to terrorists, criminals, and the mentally unstable. The VPC continued to warn lawmakers and the public of the dangers of 50 calibers in its 2001 study Voting from the Rooftops: How the Gun Industry Armed Osama bin Laden, Other Foreign and Domestic Terrorists, and Common Criminals with 50 Caliber Sniper Rifles, which explains the enormous range of 50 caliber sniper rifles, the explosive power of special armor-piercing and armor-piercing incendiary ammunition easily available in the United States, and why this war-fighting power in the hands of Al Qaeda and other terrorists creates a grave threat to all Americans. The study also details: How 50 caliber sniper rifles can create disaster at industrial facilities handling explosive, toxic, or volatile chemicals—the kind of threat terrorism analysts already warn transforms a target into a weapon; a report for the Air Force which warns that 50 caliber sniper rifles endanger aircraft, bulk fuel tanks, fuel trucks, and other airport targets; and, the rash of 50 caliber sniper rifles found in the arsenals of domestic terrorist and extremist groups, including one that plotted to kill a state governor, U.S. Senator, and federal judges.

"We have made extensive research available to Attorney General John Ashcroft, the FBI, and key officials throughout the U.S.," Diaz adds. "We call on them to support the pending legislation sponsored by U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein and Congressman Henry Waxman."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Violence Policy Center is a national non-profit educational foundation that conducts research on violence in America and works to develop violence-reduction policies and proposals. The Center examines the role of firearms in America, conducts research on firearms violence, and explores new ways to decrease firearm-related death and injury.

For Release:
    Tuesday, September 24, 2002

Naomi Seligman
    Violence Policy Center
    (202) 822-8200 x105

2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

That's about the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard. But I'm not shcoked in the least bit!

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

"Well, of course we have to ban these horrible weapons of war, that are killing innocent people on our streets every day . . . What, no deaths, ever? . . . uh,
    We need to take them off the streets and out of the hands of gangs who use them for . . . uh, they don't use them? Why? They cost that much!!?? Heck, even a Kalifornia politician couldn't afford that!!
    Uh . . . never mind."

We need to ban liberal lawyers from the political process. Those people are truly dangerous.

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

THE TYRANTS FEAR THE PEASANTS

yay i bet they were trembling in their loafers. is L.A. having an epidemic of drive-by .50cal shootings??? there is only one solution, move the countrys liberals to Kaliforica, remove the good people from there. than pull the big flush handle!!!

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Here we go gentlemen, lock and load. The enemy is closer to the gates than you think! :mad: :assult:

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

Bring the ba*tards on, I say!!:assult: :target:

7. Oh god this is it, i'm bringing in fire on my own position! how copy over???

-Jesse

8. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

I noticed that in the attempt to reference guns to terrorism it failed to mention that the five american terrorists arrested recently were democrats who were in favor of GUN CONTROL measures just like these. I also noted that they never showed a statistic of number of people killed by these guns; probably isn't any since these guns are highly expensive and not readily available.

9. colt45

colt45 Guest

I have yet to hear of any deaths from a 50 here in the US.
    they are not what I would call an assult rifle. wieght, kick, wieght of ammo, price of rifle and ammo, and size. not to mention they only hold five rounds even in millitary issue modles.
    not what I would call a easy thing to use for murders around town hu?

10. Benny

Benny Guest

That's absolutely ludicrous. I noticed how they said "...this ideal tool for assassination and destruction is now easily accessible to terrorists, criminals, and the mentally unstable." Isn't the Brady Bill supposed to take care of those criminals and deny them access to any weapon whatsoever? What's that you say? Criminals can get guns anyway? Shot some holes in your own thinking didn't you liberals? I really don't know about these people sometimes, insanity.

Benny

11. wes

wes Guest

Well,there goes my plans for the weekend. Dang!

12. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Very simple it's really no surprise in PRK they want everyone disarmed so the criminals can rul;e the state. Look at it they have child molesters running all over the state abducting kids, smoking weed. All they want to make PRK safe for is the criminal the 50 is not a sniper rifle it is a sporting rifle which can be used for long distance target shooting, hunting, home defense.

13. Stewart

Stewart Guest

They could (and probably will eventually) apply all that garbage to just about any other type of fire arm. "Let's see....M-14 can shoot effectively out to 1,700 yards and can have armor piercing rounds....Hmmmm, what about those and then........" Blah, Blah, Blah.

14. BenP

BenP Guest

Guess I'm going to have to accelerate my plans on getting mine now before they quit sellin' em altogether. Let's see, where did I leave that spare $3,500 laying?

15. NRAJOE

If ya lived closer I'd split the cost with ya Ben!

16. Uh, Liberal Trash?

I thought all the gun laws enacted by the liberals in this land were to prevent terrorists, criminals and mentally unstable types from owning guns, yet this piece of garbace article would have you believe that there are bus loads of these people buying .50 cal rifles?

I am also glad the .50 cal is the only sniper rifle and my future .308 is safe.............

I suggest every gun owner go out and buy a .50 cal before it is too late!

17. NRAJOE

Your .308 is safe for now.........

18. You guys miss the point. The legislation makes them feel good about themselves. On day I predict the PRK will implode on itself. It will get so bad that the libs cant stand it. Try to buy a GAS CAN in kalifornication.
    Here is the point, let the PRK be the PRK.
    My dad once said about Californians, they were are all desendants of pioneers who had siphless. Hmmm?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2002
  19. wes

wes Guest

I used to work in a motorcycle shop that had a sign that read, "We don't care how they do it in California."