Losing my interest

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

in firearms...:assult: I got distracted by my old beat up truck..my 2 year old son..and my volunteer firefighter work...I just can't work up the enthusiasm for guns anymore :confused: :rolleyes: :nod:

2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

My enthusiasm comes and goes as well. Take a trip to the range, bud. That usually does it for me.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If its really serious............

pack up all your guns and send them to me. they will be well cared for and loved, until such time as your ready to have them back!!!:rolleyes: ;) :D

4. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Nah Papa G gotta keep 'em 'cause

5. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Dude, as with anything, you burn out from time to time. I go between guns and guitars. Guns don't have to occupy your every living breathing thought. We all respect you and know that you would uphold the 2nd regardless of the number of toys in your gun safe.

Just don't let you tactical edge slip up because you are going thru a temporary burn out. Better to be burned out and alive, than...uh.....well......something that would have sounded inteligent......Just read my sig below!

6. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

Am I from another planet?

In my town, at my club, there are only 2 regulars, me and my buddy.
    We go to the range every thursday night and burn about 3hrs and all the ammo we can.
    The others just come and go, sometimes we don't see some people for more than 2 or 3 months but they allways seem to come back.
    I feel sorry for them because I get to enjoy my toys very much every week and they just store them.
    Some of them have very nice toys and they don't use them.

Am I from another planet?

Logansdad:
    I think that you're with a full schedule these days but I know that if you're in this forum, in your veins is running gunpowder, not blood so get over this as soon as you can and start shooting again ASAP.

PS: If you give your guns to anyone else, I don't think they'll return them. lol

PSS: Send them to me, no questions asked. lol

7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I've concluded that when it all comes down, guns are fine assemblies of metal, wood, and polymers that accommodate forces and expel projectiles. Nothing more, nothing less.
    This is after plunging headlong into them while in recovery from a destroyed relationship.
    When you think you gotta have more, and more, and more, and then you take them all to the range and want to fire them all, and your friends want to try them all while still criticizing your interest in them, and then you have to clean them all, and then you need to fix a couple or replace parts, then realize some would be much better with accessories, then ultimately realize the limitations of each and want another, or two, or five....
    Yeah, that can definitely burn you out.

My experience is that I now think much less about guns than I did two years ago, because I now have them, and have the knowledge and skill to use them, and while I definitely need to keep up with practice, I can sit content that I'm doing pretty much everything I can for any situations that may need them. I expect it will be the same way with carrying when I get my permit and pistol.

8. BattleRifleG3

Oh yeah, another thing that does it for me is teaching someone else. Like taking a kid to the zoo. You've seen it, but bringing them makes it all the more special.

9. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

G3:
    I agree with the technical description of guns that you make, but god they're fun to shoot and for the last 5 years my interest is still growing and can't shoot enough.
    Maybe someday I'll cool off and be like everyone else.

10. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I sold 9..I gave 3 to my Dad..I tried to give him my 7 shot L frame .357 but he wouldn't take it...I still have 5...but I'm gonna keep 'em

11. johno

johno Guest

I agree with you G3. half of the time i go to the range, i take one or tow of my friends that have no guns of thier own and teach them, and once they've learned we just go and have fun. four of those friends that i've taken would like to go and get thier own someday.

12. Mon Bathan

Mon Bathan Guest

It's like riding the bicycle, times will come that you may not want to ride anymore but the experiences of riding it stays with you. One day you may want to ride it again and you may have more enthusiasm and liking the way you use to do before. From there new experiences will come in and your enthusiasm will be there once again. Give it a rest for the time being but I bet you will be back again with more vigor. Happy shooting!!

Mon

13. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Ah heck Logsdad, just take care of yourself.... You'll pull thru with a little self medication!

14. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

You should try pin shooting, that would revive you intrest.

15. wes

wes Guest

Pins and sporting clays is something that's been on my list for awhile.

16. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Just give them a good cleaning and put them away for a little bit. Been there, done that. Importance on some things come and go. Spend time with your family and bust your knuckles a few times on that truck! That'll wake ya up! :)

17. BattleRifleG3

For clarification, I meant to say that guns are ultimately material and cannot serve any other needs. Sometimes we try to use them to fill a space that can never be filled with any material object. And of course being a material object they can't do everything, and we're generally wise not to devote all of our resources to them.
    Why do I say all this? Let's just say some things are fresh in my memory.