close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Love my Browning, BUT!!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ScottD, Mar 15, 2002.

1. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

Is it me or does everyone get hammer bite shooting this superb pistol?

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    its not just you. ive got two hi powers, one with a commander hammer, and one with the spur. ive never personally been bit but a friend got bit by my commander hammer.

3. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Hammer bite

Hammer bite and pinch stinks. The spur hammer on the BHP .40 can really chew you up. The ring hammer on every Hi-power can do the same. You need a hammer bite modification. I got this performed on all my Hi-powers and never get bitten...

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    jesse do you get the hammers bobbed, have a beavertail welded on -details?

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

BHP

No, no beavertail weld. It's way too much expense and in my opinion, not needed. Kurt Wickmann and Don Williams have both placed no-bite conversions on mine, and are the only gunsmiths I've used on the Hi-power. Both are guest moderators on this site and will drop in from time to time... Top shelf gunsmiths and quality guys.

Jesse

6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    so whats involved in this no bite conversion?

7. Lefty, Basically it consists of thinning the "shank" of the hammer so it doesn't drop down as far onto the tang, which is where many people get bitten. The factory Browning ring hammers have a rather large "burr" or ring, which can pinch the heck out of you if you have a fleshy hand, and/or grip very high on the gun. I've never had a problem personally with the spur hammer, which can tap me on the top of my hand, which is average size, but the Browning style ring hammers will bite me. That's one of the reasons why you see many HP's with the C&S hammer.