close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Love My Garands But

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DANA, Apr 30, 2002.

1. I LOVE MY GARANDS BUT IF YOU WANT TO TRY SOMETHING THAT IS SHEER PLEASURE TRY A 1941 JOHNSON AUTOMATIC. A RECOIL OPERATED RIFLE THAT USES UP MOST OF ITS REARWARD MOVEMENT TO DRIVE THE BARREL BACK UNLOCKING THE ROTARY BOLT. IF YOU GET SOME BARREL STUBS YOU CAN HAVE A NUMBER OF DIFFRENT INTER CHANGABLE CALIBER BARRELS.
    DANA

2. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

My daughter wanted to take a photo of me while I was playing with my Johnson {no pun inteneded} I still have to get out and shoot it. To much stock work I cant get away. Rick

[​IMG]

3. Had a chance to buy a Johnson in 1967 - for $100 - wonder what it would be worth today? Guess I was born good-looking and not smart!

(I was 18 at the time - maybe that explains it!)

4. Hey Stock Doc, nice picture. Digital or film type camera. I have refinished most of my stuff. Got a question, what type of finish do you prefer?

5. STOCK DOC
    LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AFTER SHOOTING YOUR JOHNSON
    DANA

6. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Its a Olympus Dgitial D-360L and works pretty good so far. I have 2 years in it and had one card burn out of bumped the camera hard enough to harm the card. I dropped it last week and the face came off . I snapped it back together and works fine.
    I do many finsihes but mostly Linseed oil with a touch of dryers to help drying up north. I rub them in with average about 7 coats. Now if it is going to be a shooter outdoors allot in all weather I use a Oil with more dryers similar to True Oil. Linseed will dull out in heavy rain.
    Will do Dana I cant wait to get time to get out and shoot it. Rick B

7. Thanks Stock Doc. The only thing I have ever used was Tru-Oil. I just wanted your view on other types of finish. Haven't purchased a digital yet. I still use my 25 year old Pentax SLR.

8. Rick, after your done playing with your Johnson-------------- I figured you for a much older man. Hey seen the TUMs in the background, freakin jobs cause that. I use Eckerd brand of Rolaids in home, subruban and work truck. It all started when Eco Reources was bought out by a Califoria "People "Co. (get rid of the higher paid experienced employees) Then the FREAKIN BACK STABBING strated. Thats Freakin rolaids under the brigde now. How do you get a photo on the page??? I tried to post a photo of myself with the 225# wild Texas feral hog. The forum kept tellin me the photo was to big. WE o'tta have a forum for "whos the ugliest". I'll take thrid, there's gotta to be two people uglier than me . ;by the way , nice Johnson (no pun intended)

9. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Im 37 going on 80 hehehehehe I'm Italian Irish & a touch of Russian so you know I'm screwed up. The tums happened to be there from when I ask my daughter to get me a few and she handed me the bottle and ran away to play. They stayed there a day and ended up in the photo. I laughed when I posted it wondering what you guys would think. As for posting photos you have to get a program to shrink it a bit. My camera came with a resizer so I got lucky there.
    Get that photo up I want to see someone uglier than me hahahha.

10. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

Are the Johnsons usually available on the market? If so where, and what is a reasonable price to pay for one?

11. REASONABLE???

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND ONE IN THE 1500 RANGE.THE REBUILDT 2000+ GOT MINE IN 1954 FOR 67.50 . BUT THAT WAS STILL MORE THAN TWO WEEKS PAY.
    DANA

12. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Heck they seem to be more like $2,500 anymore. Some excellent ones are trying for $5,000 from the few I have seen up for sale. They can only account for 30,000 and most were from parts sets after Johnson sold them to Winchester who bought it all for a tax write off. Then Numrich's bought everything from them from what I understand and then Winfield Arms bought the stuff form them in the early 50's and built all the rifles from parts they had into to standard and porter versions in 1953. There a very rare rifle and most have never seen one let alone been lucky enough to touch one. Check out this site below I frequent it has a few great sections on t he history and a good talk page. Bruce Canfield is about ot get his book ont he market about the history in depth. Very little has been really know and a few got together with him and the rest will be history shortly. Rick B

http://www.qis.net/~pullen/History.htm

13. What the @&%$*(+)? need more info on inserting picture. Im about one frustrated tall blonde man. Heck, computer newbie. I can't even change the stupid AVATAR-logo. is there HELP on this fourm??? been on here 3 freakin hours. numerous attempts.:confused:
    OK, got the Avatar now. Trying to upload picture.

Last edited: May 6, 2002
  14. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Are you putting [​IMG] after it? Also are you leaving the http:// in front of the address. These were the two things I messed up on. Rick B

15. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

The [ i m g ] didnt show up since it is a command I guess. I seperated it in hopes it will show this time. Rick B