close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lubing inside of case?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tonto, Aug 10, 2002.

1. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

Hey guys I just had to repair my resizing die due to a stuck deprimer pin or stuck case however you look at it it was a devil of a time getting it out. I went back through all my reloading manuals and it is still hard for me to lube inside that case! All that gunk with the primer and powder ?
    So what lube do you use and how do you keep the gunk from getting in there, or is it just something i need to get over?
    Right now i have been using this water based lube from Lee, what about the aerosols and other lubes?

2. The water-based lube from Lee is 100% safe to leave in the case (in reasonable amounts). I mean, just don't dramatically reduce case capacity or anything...

3. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    I use Hornady one shot spray and have had no problems with contamination. When you spray the loading block of cases hold the can at a 45 deg angle and a little goes into the neck area.

If you don't like this method save a small plastic bullet box and put 2-3oz of #9 shot in it. Add a 1/4 tsp. of dry moly and mix it up to coat the shot. Then stick in your case necks to lube them with moly(the shot takes the moly up the inside of the neck). wipe them off after sizing

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    cool idea's guys
    I load at a leasurly pace (for rifle) I rub a Q-Tip on my lube pad and swab a bit in the neck area. keeping good clean Q-tips the whole way thru.

5. I use the same old RCBS lube and a case neck brush. Run the brush across the pad and into the case neck. Clean the cases after resizing (mine go in a vibratory tumbler with crushed corn cobs and brass cleaner) and get rid of all the lube.

6. dave375hh

Ohio
    Mike,

Instead of the brass cleaner add 2-3 capfuls of laquer thinner to the media. it'll get them clean enough to squeak. This also works well on handgun brass shot with cast bullets. It removes the leftover bullet lube and cleans the brass ready to reload, protects your dies and brass from scratches

7. I use Hornady One Shot, I simply spray a small amount into the cap and use a q-tip and swab the inside of the neck. the One Shot will not contaminate the primer or powder. I also run the brass back into the tumbler for a good final polish before starting to load.

8. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

thanks for replies, i reloaded twenty rounds of 270 last night using rcbs dies and lubed inside the neck with cotton swab- went smooth as silk. I did seem to notice dents on one or two at the shoulders so i took a few casings and loaded them up heavy with lube(on the outside) and sure as the nightfall they came out dented, must be the lube in rcbs dies, never had problem before, or at least with Lee dies. So light coated the rest and not one dent ! But i will try some of your other tips for lubing inside as well as tumbling them using thinner and such.

9. dave375hh

Ohio
    Tonto,

Disassemble and clean out your die. When you used it with the excess lube on the cases you most likley loaded up your die. With your new lighter lube and a clean die the dents will stop.