Lyman acculine case trimmer

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jack O, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Anybody have one these ? what can you tell me about it good or bad any hard earned lesson would be nice also.

2. GEEZ JACK THAT IS MOST SIMPLE BASIC TRIMMER OUT THERE. NOT SURE WHAT U MEAN. SCREW IT TO THE WORK BENCH. GET A LYMAN E-ZEE CASE LENGTH GAUGE AND CALIPAR TO MEASURE CASES. USE THE RIGHT NECK PILOT FOR THE TIMMER. GOT THE INSTRUCTIONS?

3. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Yeah I have the instructions At the time of the post I havn't tirmmed a case with it. I've already trimmed 100 45acp cases. Just thought somebody might have some tips left out of the instructions. So far I like it should help me mantain a more consistant crimp maybe some added accuracy. I just moved up from the Lee pilot trimmers.

4. MSW

MSW G&G Newbie

I have both Lee trimmers and the Lyman Universal Trimmer. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I find the Lee Case Length Gauge, Lock Stud (for a drill) and shell holder to be useful in trimming a lot of cases. I use it mainly to trim 9 x 19 case to 9 x 18 cases for my Makarov pistol, and it does the job rather well. The disadvantage with the Lee trimmer is the lock stud and shell holders have a tendency to come undone if it's not tighten really well. I've skinned my knuckles a few times using it with a drill.

The Lyman Universal Trimmer is a better product if you want to do more detailed trimming. The lock stud is better and holds the cases much more securely than the Lee trimmers. The hand crank and cutter on the Lyman trimmer is well made and gives you a better feel while trimming a case. I use both product for different needs. Lee stuff is cheaper and does the job, but the Lyman items are better made and will produce quality bullets.

M.

5. Congradulations jack O, Ive yet to reload handgun ammo. Been reloading '06,308,7mm,6.5 and will start 8mm soon. I had to get a case trimmer, most cases would trim on the grinder. Found out the hard way when I was looking at an 8 point buck and loaded but cartrigde would not chamber. Case too long. Be extra carefull with the 45s with length and powder throws. Ken.

6. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

I went out and bought a digital scale so most of my charges are weighted. I found my powder drop doesn't like Bullseye and some other pistol powders. Most of the time I drop about a half a grain shy and trickle it up. I just finnished trimming 1000 45 shells and I really like the Lyman trimmer