Lyman Great plains

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jerod, May 17, 2008.

1. Jerod

Jerod Guest

New guy to the site. I have a Lyman great plains Rifle. It came with the 1-60 rifled barrel. I was thinking about getting the 1-32 barrel so I could shoot sabots and newer slugs. Anyone ever used one of these? Would I get the same distance out of this rifle as I do with my In-line when shooting sabots. I am not sure due to the different ignition styles,cap vs primer. What do you think?

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. NHmsj

NHmsj G&G Newbie

Jerod,
    Your ignition system, caps vs. 209 primers, doesn't change the ballistics of your load. It just hedges your chances of the rifle going "bang!" Your Lyman with the different barrel, charged and loaded with the same load as your inline (some of us like to say "cheatline," :kiss:)should, more or less, produce the same ballistics. But, what the heck, push a patched roundball down that 1-60 twist and have a go at it. A hell of a lot of deer, elk and whatever have fallen to a patched roundball. :)
    msj

Last edited: May 17, 2008

3. NHmsj, said it all except the part where you sell the inline and spend the money on powder and shot for your real muzzle loader. happy hunting

4. Just popped in to say hello, Hello Jerod, and welcome you to the site...

5. Jerod

Jerod Guest

Thanks! I can drive nails with round balls out of it. I would rather shoot it than my in-line, any day. I just thought it would be cool to have a new(er) projectile through it once in a while. That way I could get the best of both worlds. I should have bought the traditional first, then I would not have had to buy the in-line which I rarely shoot because traditional is way more fun.

6. Jerod

Jerod Guest

I should have thought about the ignition question! Kind of a no-brainer. Oh well. The rifle is a great shooter, It shoots round balls great. Right on about selling the in-line, I never shoot it any way. Traditional is the only way to go!

7. Welcome aboard "pilgrim" glad y'u see th light Ah find th roun ball ta be a verrry accurate projectile out of a slow twist barrel I have three muzzleloaders myself One a .50 caliber "Dixie Po' Boy flint[flinch]lock and two caplocks ine a .54 caliber "Hawken" and a "Kentucky" both by C.V.A. before they went "modern."

8. killer

killer G&G Newbie

Missed this post. I have the Great Plains and took my first buck with it few years ago with a ball. It was a perfect broadside shot at 39 yards. He stopped mid step over a log when he heard the first click from the set triggers.

I have fired some maxi's out of it to 50 yards and the accuracy was ok. I do load mine pretty stiff with the balls...Pyrodex 105 grains.

Like you say we can just buy the barrel from Lyman for around $183.25 (1 in 32 twist) but I may try the maxi's again since I'm going to have to limit my shots to under 50 yards anyway due to my eyes.

Welcome to Lyman Products

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008