M-1 repair

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory' started by grunt67, Jul 10, 2019.

1. A couple of weeks ago, I bought an M-1. I called Springfield about sending it in to make sure everything was up to specs, and to repair a loose rear sight. I spoke to a woman representative who asked for the serial number, and when I gave it to her, she told me that Springfield didn't make that rifle. It has a Springfield stamp on the receiver. Did Springfield ever authorize someone else to use their stamp on the receiver? Then she told me they didn't work on anything made before 1976. Have I been fed a line of B.S.? Thanks in advance.

animalspooker likes this.
  2. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I don't have any answers for you Grunt, but I know a hundred folks here at G&G that will. Just be patient.

I have another question relating to this OP. I always hear people refer to M-1s, and it always makes me question if they mean a Garand or a Carbine. Can anyone elaborate for me?

jwrauch and neophyte like this.

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

4. Thanks, but my inquiry was for an M-1. My rifle has a Springfield stamp on the receiver, but Springfield's customer service rep told me that Springfield didn't make that particular rifle, based on its serial number. If someone else made it, why would it have a Springfield stamping?

5. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  6. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the current Springfield Armory has nothing to do with anything that was produced prior to 1974ish, or that's been the way I understood it.
    In 1974, the Springfield Armory name was licensed to Robert Reese, to form Springfield Armory, Inc., a private company that manufactures semi-automatic versions of the M14 rifle and M1911 pistol.
    Not sure I'm any help here, but I'm trying.

7. Thanks! I sent an M-1 Garand in to Springfield about 7 years ago. They went through it completely. Replaced the operating rod and spring, installed match grade rear sight, and cleaned up the trigger pull to a nice crisp 4 1/2 pounds. I wanted to do the same with my latest purchase, and ran into a dead end.

8. I'm aware that several companies produced M-1's. International Harvester, H&R, Winchester, but how many companies produced M-1's with a Springfield stamping on the receiver? My rifle has Springfield stamped on the receiver. The woman from Springfield's customer service told me the serial number of my rifle indicated to her that it was not made by Springfield. I'm just wondering why or how that could be?

9. I took my M-1 Garand to Ahlman's Gun Shop in Morristown, MN. They have repaired it, and I will pick it up tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for your help! All that remains now is to see how the ol' girl works!!