close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M-48A locking lug failure! Milsurp nightmare...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stewart, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Stewart, that is truly scary, considering I've got an M48A. I've put a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems, but it does make me wonder! The metal under the break looked like cast iron, might have been some impurities in the steel. I wonder if Magnafluxing a newly bought milsurp might be a good idea?

2. Big Dog,

I know what you mean, I also have a M48A and a Model 98 and have fired both with no problems, it did make me look at the bolt a little closer. There is some follow up discussions on this topic, I have included the post below. Again, I am sure that statistically this is a very rare occurance and it is not meant to spark fear, it was just a failure that I had never really considered before so it will give me something else to be aware of. I think one of the things that was troubling was that the rifle was recently received from a "reputable dealer", never hurts to have these checked out.

I am not an expert but it sounds like there is a back up which would prevent the bolt from backing out even in the event of this type of failure, does that sound right?

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=5&TID=48621&SID=1605396

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've been very careful of every gun I have bought. I prefer to buy at dealers or gunshows, so I can see the weapon first hand, check it out and make my choice. A friend ordered an Enfield awhile back, in "very good to excellent" condition according to the supplier. It came with a battered stock and broken safety. He chose to keep and repair it. I've bought two guns (a .22 and a bolt-action shotgun) that have unsafe triggers - they trip with the slightest bump. We just have to keep safety in mind, always.