M-91, or M1891/1910???

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by sean46953, May 5, 2008.

1. Ok, I've got a Mosin that I've had for a couple of years now that I'm having issues with being sure of what model it is. It was made in 1910 at the Izhevsk arsenal. I know that in 1910 the Russians modified the original M-91 and then gave it the designation of M1891/10. Now, the question is, and I've asked before with absolutely no luck, when did the make the change? Right at the start of the 1910 production year, or in the middle of it, or maybe even 1911? I have found some things that point towards it being the 1910 model because from what I've found, it seems as if the original M91 model didn't have an upper hand guard, and the 1910 did. Mine has the hand guard. I'll attach some photos of the old girl for pickin' over. :feedback: Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

The M91 received a handguard and necessary barrel band change in 1894. What is the overall length of your rifle? 51 1/2 or 48 1/2 inches? What type front sight does it have?

3. Ok, I went and did some more digging...Found out pretty much that it is a M1891/1910. So, my next question...What's the value on one of these things? I can tell that they aren't all too popular, but is that due to them being rare, or because they're being over shadowed by other Mosins?

4. Enfield trader

Enfield trader G&G Newbie

Your rifle is an M91 mosin nagant, the 1910 is just went it was made and is not part of the model number.

Value can be $100-$250 depending on condition , matching , import marked etc ....

5. Well, I've actually read that there is a 1910 model. There's also a 1907 model. These designations were impossed due to crucial modifications such as modifing them to fire a high pressure spitzer round that you see today instead of the original low pressure round nose rounds. You can read more about that on Worldguns.com. Pretty resourceful site.

6. SwedeSteve

There is a M91/10.

7. So, not to undermind you Enfield, but is that the correct value range for one, or is it different? I only ask because I don't know if there is a diference in value between the M-91 and the M1891/1910 and I figure that Enfield's estimates were based on the M-91. Also, I apologise if my reply came off badly Enfield. I re-read it and thought it might have sounded a bit irrogent and that's not what I wanted, so, I am sorry if I may have offended you bro.

8. SwedeSteve

I doubt there is any significant difference in value except to a collector. I went back and read on this some more, and it should be a M91/10. The next question would be, for me is, is this an Infantry, or Dragoon Rifle? So the 51 1/2 inch length would be a M91/10, 48 1/2 would make it a Dragoon.

9. Enfield trader

Enfield trader G&G Newbie

The 1907 was a carbine and it is a rare rifle. Never seen and M91 called and M91/10 they are just called M91.

Here is where the correct info is

The Last Dragoon Rifle

10. It's an Infantry. 51 1/2''s of pole-vaulting barrel! lol Keep digging Enfield. I didn't have a friggin clue about the difference till I got the **** thing two years ago. I just couldn't figure out for sure which it was. I'll post some links later that will better explain where the 1910 fits in. Your info is correct for the bit that I skimed through, but I figure that it probably just failed to mention the fact that by 1910 the Soviets had changed a bunch of little things on the M-91 that they standardised a new designation of 1910. It's honestly not very well knowen for many reasons, a few being, wasn't that big of a deal, govermental collapse, Revolutionary War in the making, poverty, starvation....you know, just the small stuff.

11. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

There is an actual M91/10....but the rarity of information available makes them not very well known. E.T. fone home? :D hehe jkjk

12. SwedeSteve

Mike- You're Alive!

13. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

am i really?
    oh noes....someone shoot me quickly....if the gov't finds out, i'll have to go back to running circles in the yard to keep away from bubba.

seriously tho....need a couple questions answered really quick:
    1) M91/59-whats reasonable price for one?
    2) M91/38-does it have the dovetail? is it really same price as an M91/59?
    3) is my heart gonna survive or is this energy surge from the coffee gonna kill me? :silly:

14. SwedeSteve

1) Dunno. I paid $140, including $25 shipping
    2) Do you mean M38? If so, then no
    3) 50/50 chance

15. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

no, i mean M91/38....it's a cold-war made cut-down M91 made in czech. look in one of the last 10 posts that've been replied to and you'll see the link on one of marion's posts.

only prob with finding one for sale online is it has the same model name as the 6mm Carcano M91/38.

16. SwedeSteve

Yep, I know the M91/38. Was just clarifying for my own info. Since it's cut down from a 91, I would think it has the dovetail. But I've never seen one close up, so cannot say!

17. if the front sight is an unprotected blade and the rear sight(leaf) is calibrated to 2000 arshin, you have an M91/10. 2000 arshin is NOT 2000 yards 1 arshin=.77 yard, so do the math.

18. Maybe I missed something but it was still tsarist Russia in 1910. The revolution was in 1917, after which it became the USSR (CCCP Союз Советских Социалистических Республик) in 1922, much to the chagrin of Nicholas II.

Anyway the Soviet Union did not yet exist in 1910.

19. The M-91 was fitted with a site that was messure out to 2000 Arshins, but then by 1908 the Soviets had went to the higher pressure spitzer round and that had a complete new new set of ballistics and then required a new site. That's where the Kolocov or how ever it's spelled, comes in. It goes to 1300 Arshins lying down, but then when it's kicked up, it goes up to 3200 Arashins. I'll look up the spelling of the name of the rear sight and post a link to show them. The rear site, along with the rest off the gun, was constantly modified through it's early years makin them hard to distiguish easily. lol I love the gun, but gosh, there needs to be readily accessable information on it! In stead, there is just so little that can be found about it!!!

20. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

sean thats because the russians didnt keep records!!Those they did keep have since been destroyed