Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I have a 1917 m96 swedish. Had it for 30 years probably. It's one of the Kimber is America sporters. It came with a scope installed. The crosshairs broke years ago and now I am wanting to rescope it for one of my kids. So, I took the old scope off and replaced it with a nice Nikon.
Problem number 1, the rings are those vertical clamp up type, old warne with the little dovetail bases. They are not aligned properly. It holds the scope out of adjustment so far it is off the boresight grid to the last line on the right.
Problem #2, I would like to do an overhaul and change the bases and rings. Don't even know where to begin?!?! I think it might of been like this since I bought it.
Anyway, if you have a solution for this old tack driver, I'm all ears! My son would like to get to the range and bang a few primers!

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
you can go a couple of ways.
some of the rings are adjustable, where you tighten one of the screws to move the rear of the scope over left/right.
leupolds are like this.

there is also the conetrol rings.
they have a shim inside the rings and they can be shifted left/right to get things centered before shooting to confirm.

you do need the bases for each type so things mount properly.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
These bases and rings are at least 30 years old I would think. That is as long as I have had the rifle. I can't really fine info on the them. Here is a close up of one ring.
I am not sure if your scope base or two piece bases are 3/8 or larger ones. I have seen 3/8" weaver style bases on a centerfire rifle instead of on a rimfire like they usually are. Can you send a pic of the complete top receiver with the bases so we can see what you have? Also like another member wrote above, you can buy rings that are adjustable for windage. You can adjust right or left on both rings and will compensate for bases off of center. I have drilled and tapped many Mauser rifle receivers and I mostly used Millet brand scope rings on weaver dovetail style bases. Look up Millet scope rings and they will tell and show you adjustment by adjusting the small allen screws. Its the same screws that hold ring to base. They run about $25 a set

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Yes I would buy a set of medium height Millet adjustable rings and will adjust to where you need. There are like two other manufacturers that I believe make similar rings.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
those look to be a basic weaver type base.
I would assume they are quite low to work with the stock better.
since your changing the scope anyway I'd take the whole rifle into any decent gun store along with your check book and get an entire new set up.
then you have the right height rings for the scopes objective to clear the barrel, and for the bolt to clear the rear of the scope.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The scope objective has plenty of clearance. So, I got my old straight edge out and did some measurements. These mounts are not level. When you get the back mount level from side to side, the front one is off half a bubble! Then the front to back top edge, they bases are not flat across the top top one another. Makes me think the old scope was just crammed in the rings. I wonder how I shot so many critters with this gun when I was in my early 20s?

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
The scope objective has plenty of clearance. So, I got my old straight edge out and did some measurements. These mounts are not level. When you get the back mount level from side to side, the front one is off half a bubble! Then the front to back top edge, they bases are not flat across the top top one another. Makes me think the old scope was just crammed in the rings. I wonder how I shot so many critters with this gun when I was in my early 20s?
I am just a little confused to how you used the level to check bases. You would first have to have the rifle completely level which is about impossible to do and then put level from front to rear base on top. I am thinking trying the sideways thing is not going to be accurate that way. I have always used a scope drilling Jig to drill my own holes with a drill press and then tap them. If one of them was used to drill the holes then its like impossible to screw it up. Also on about every Mauser receiver the front and rear base ARE different thicknesses. That is because the front and back of the receivers are different heights. I have drilled and tapped many like I said and never an issue after bases installed and rings and scope all done. If you want , make sure your bases are correct ones. I use Weaver and on the Model 96 rifle you use a #55 base for front receiver and a #46 for the rear one. You can order them online even for a few dollars each and replace the ones you have. Yours look like the Weaver Grand slam type . You can go that route and get the medium height adjustable Millet rings and install yourself and then adjust at range. I used a bore sighter and then to the range. I would not pay a gunsmith for a simple fix. Hopefully no one ground down the rear receiver and only what Ii have done is remove the charging hump a few times. Ii am sure you will be fine and the weaver's will line up to same screw holes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also have mounted quite a few scopes. This one is driving me insane. This is only gun with this system of scope bases and rings. I hate this set up for sure. Weaver #55 and #46! I will check it out.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
I also have mounted quite a few scopes. This one is driving me insane. This is only gun with this system of scope bases and rings. I hate this set up for sure. Weaver #55 and #46! I will check it out.
Those bases you showed are nothing odd or special. You should not have issues with putting rings on. I do see in the pic you posted that the charger hump was ground off just in front of the rear base. If not ground down the same height as the rest of the receiver then the rear sights have to be cut a bit but yours is done. You also have the low scope Buehler type safety installed. Yeah for a few dollars I would try the bases I told you about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im changing to the Weaver #46 and #55. When you install these rings in have currently, you can see them out of alignment to one another. One is straight and the other is canted. Doesn't make since to me. I have never came across this before.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Im changing to the Weaver #46 and #55. When you install these rings in have currently, you can see them out of alignment to one another. One is straight and the other is canted. Doesn't make since to me. I have never came across this before.
Did you try taking the 4 screws out of the bases and remove them. Make sure that one screw is not snapped of and head jammed into bases. Also after removing the screws then use a straight edge to see if all 4 screw holes line up with each other. If not then one was drilled out of alignment and needs to be re drilled and tapped. Let me know what you find after removing the old ones and screws

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I got the bases off. The screws were really stuck. I think like 100 in lbs , just kidding. They were really hard to get out, lots of heat and banging with a mallet to get the lock tight to break. Can see anything wrong with the bases or screws. I matched the rings and bases together and they just don't mate up very well. I'm tossing them and buy new.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
So, I got the bases off. The screws were really stuck. I think like 100 in lbs , just kidding. They were really hard to get out, lots of heat and banging with a mallet to get the lock tight to break. Can see anything wrong with the bases or screws. I matched the rings and bases together and they just don't mate up very well. I'm tossing them and buy new.
I hear Ya. Did you try finding the Weaver bases I told you are for your rifle? They also make them same style as the ones you had which they called the Grand Slam series. They are the same part number but with an S added to #46 and #55

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
I have used the weaver bases without problems on many Mausers over the years. I also recommend the Millet adjustable rings. JOHN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found the #46 base at a local shop. Had to order the #55 base. The 46 mounts right on the front base spot! I would guess that the #55 is a bit taller than the #46?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All right, we have mounted the new bases. Fit is good. I had a set of spare nice Weaver low profile rings. I put everything together. It looked good, till I bore sighted it. Same problem! So, we have determined it is miss drilled a bit. I am getting the Millet adjustable rings today!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts