M1 Carbine Rear Sight

Discussion in 'M1 Carbine' started by FS00008, Sep 1, 2010.

1. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

Does anyone have a spare rear sight that they don't need? I have a 43 that had the flip sight, but it's broken and I'd like to get an adjustable to use until I can find a replacement New Old Stock flip sight (They are very hard to find).

2. FS00008

FA quality is up to OEM standards? If so, I'd buy one..

3. FS00008

Has anyone bought the repro FA rear? I have used FA stuff on my M1A, and with satisfaction, but I am kind of looking for surplus..

4. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The stamped rear sight on my IBM carbine come apart for no apparent reason at the range last month. The peep broke off of its base and popped me right in my shooting safety glasses(...lesson here folks!). I'm not sure if an ejecting cartridge hit it or what. It was the strangest thing!

Anyway, I found a plethora of surplus options on gunbroker.com. I ended up winning a milled adjustable rear sight. It looks a lot nicer than the stamped sight and it covers less of the manufacturer name. I'm not sure it is correct for a '43 IBM carbine, but neither is the stamped sight technically.

I looked at the reproductions and I knew they wouldn't match. They have nice dark finishes. I wanted something a little green in color to match the receiver.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  5. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

I've ordered some parts for my carbine from FA and am pretty happy with them. If you are happy with a repro sight, I'd recommend them. Can't give you much help for an original.

6. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

Just be careful removing the old one... they bite! I got 4 stitches out of that lesson!

7. FS00008

NP, the sight is out. It's been missing for a long time.

8. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I finally got my carbine back from the gun smith. I had my new sight installed by a professional. Apparently, there's a tool. He charged me $20.

I put 30 rounds through my carbine yesterday. Gosh, I missed it!

I like the new milled sight. It is a little shorter than the post war stamped sight. You can actually read "IBM Corp" on the back of the receiver.

9. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    Have you tried Numrich?
    They have both the flip site and the type II milled sight available. Both are repro.

10. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member

These folks specialize in the US milsurp market. Lots of knowledge available....

M1 Carbine Forum

11. FS00008

Lol necropost. I picked one up from Fulton Armory.