Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Universal M1 Carbine with the heat shield from my father. The serial # is 96xxx. It appears to be all original and I was looking to get some info on it as I know nothing about it. It says Universal Hialeah FLA on top of the receiver. Would anyone know the year it was produced? Thanks for the info!

·
NOT a new member
1,756 Posts
Just so you know Universal carbines were never produced for the military. The first production runs of them were however built with some surplus parts. As time went on and surplus parts became harder and more expensive to get Universal made everything themselves or outsourced and to some degree quality suffered.
I have one of the Universal carbines with the metal heat guard, I believe they were the model 1002. If you like shooting an M1 Carbine and are not fussy about it not being a well used surplus gun then there is really nothing wrong with the Universals. I find mine shoots much better than any surplus M1 carbine I have shot. My father who was in the army in the late 50's/early 60's hated the old wore out carbines they had and always figured someone bent the barrels so they wouldn't shoot straight. He couldn't believe how nice a straight shooting carbine was to plink with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the transition from gen 1 to gen 2 is 93xxx-104xxx serial #. How do you know which one you have if you are in that range?

·
Wonderment :)
35,596 Posts
Oldwolfeiii: Sir; perhaps this will assist

A New Set of Model Numbers
Universal had two basic sets of model numbers, none of which were indicated on the actual carbines. Carbines manufactured and sold in the early and mid 1960's had one set of model numbers (see above). Carbines manufactured and sold 1968 and later used a different set of model numbers. Not all of the carbines in the second sequence appeared at the same time. Model numbers were added and dropped between 1968 and 1988 as the different styles and variations were introduced or dropped from Universal's line.
Presenting these model numbers piecemeal as they came and went easily causes confusion. For this reason all of the model numbers 1968-1988 appear in the one chart below. The source for each model is one or more original Universal catalogs between 1968 and 1980, referenced in the far right column and detailed at the bottom of the chart. Part III of this text provides photographs and more detailed information on specific models.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
shoulda kept the one i had, one was scoped and pretty accurate.
i did swap it in for a new side folder paratrooper model, but i kind of like the full stocked ones better.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,211 Posts
The Viet Cong was well armed with M1 and M2 Carbines. They were captured from the French army, The carbines were replaced by the NVA with the aK-47. Many GI units were assaulted with our "Baby" rifles.
I wonder if the Vietnamese have them in storage somewhere? And if they would export them to us?

·
Premium Member
24,228 Posts
She probably didn’t even have a use for it; just took it to pizz you off. 😠

1 - 14 of 14 Posts