close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

m1 dummy is curious

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Peter, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Peter

Peter G&G Newbie

Hi folks! Forgive my ignorance, but i'm curious about your guns. What is an M1 Carbine? Is that a .30 Cal from wwII? Or more like a M1 in .308? Just curious because you seem to like them a lot.-Peter

2. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

The M1 carbine is the weapon that replaced the tompson. The round itself is virtually identical in length to the 357 mag. case, but in .30 caliber (no bottleneck).

3. Peter

Peter G&G Newbie

Are all the originals class III only or are there semi auto models?

4. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Peter, the M1 carbine is/was semi-automatic. There are military surplus plus a few commercial versions out there. The M2 carbine is/was select fire. HTH

5. the M1 Carbine did not replace the Thompson... the Carbine was designed to give the rear echelon troops more hitting power other than a 1911 pistol, if they were hit on the flanks or in the rear, and the Garand was too big a weapon for drivers , cooks, etc,etc....it was just by fate that it was used by more and more front line troops.. especially the paras
    [​IMG]

6. nspark56

nspark56 G&G Newbie

My late father-in-law carried a carbine for 40 months in the Pacific, during WW2, as a US Marine. He carried a flame thrower, therefore needed a light rifle as a backup. Till the day he died, he would talk about the carbine as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Light weight, reliable and saved his hide on several occassions.
    I have two of them, an IBM and a Rock-Ola. Fun to shoot, very light recoil and both are very accurate out to about 100 yards. Some question the stopping power, but as I understand it, it has the energy at 100 yards, as a 357 mag. has at the muzzel.

7. Peter

Peter G&G Newbie

Thanks, very enlightening. I'll have to look for one at the range. Sounds like it might be more effective than a 9mm or .40 carbine.