of perhaps national match standards.

All this said, you can make your Garand into a
very accurate rifle and with practice you can join
those who shoot very well with it.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anywhere from two to six inch groups depending on your skill and condition of the barrel. Could be possible to do better. How accurate do you want to be? I can usually average three inch groups at 100 yards, but I have a new barrel and mild experience.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right now i can do better than that with my .22 open sight so i dont know if thats the right gun for me

·
Registered
741 Posts
The comments about accuracy are generally correct. However, the Garand can be made more accurate by doing the following things, in the order suggested:

1. Check the rifle for proper assembly, operation, and wood-to-metal fit, using readily available instructions. This takes ten minutes and is very easy to do.
2. Get some instruction from a qualified instructor. Then practice the good technique you just learned.
3. Use a good prone position, a sling, a coat, and a glove.
4. Handload some consistent ammunition.
5. Get a trigger job (50-75 bucks) from a qualified gunsmith. Or do it yourself, using proper instructions and tools. It's not hard if you follow the instructions.
6. Glass bed the rifle. Not hard if you follow instructions.
7. Get a match barrel installed by a qualified gunsmith.

Step 7 is relatively expensive, the rest are not. If you are willing to put in a little effort, your piece of history will reward you with a lot of fun.

Do not use unqualified instructors or gunsmiths. You will be disappointed. The NRA can steer you to qualified instructors in your area. If you don't belong to the NRA, join right now. No NRA, no guns. Just ask Hillary.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The comments about accuracy are generally correct. However, the Garand can be made more accurate by doing the following things, in the order suggested:
1. Check the rifle for proper assembly..

6. Glass bed the rifle. Not hard if you follow instructions.

Do not use unqualified instructors or gunsmiths.
If you don't belong to the NRA, join right now.
A couple thousand rounds beating against the stock's recoil lug area tends to compress the wood causing a little gap in wood to metal.
I have a Boyd's that loosened up. I heard of shims.
Thus; nessessity is the mother of invention .
Took a "Pendaflex" file holder. (From filing cabnet)
Cut a piece to wrap around rear of receiver. Slid receirver in stock. Good fit now.
Use exacto knife (thin blade hobby knife) to cut excess cardboard because trigger group will not go in with cardboard in way.
Whala! Instant temporary fix.

Pic is Boyds stock before it loosened up. New Commercial Barrel.
Thought there was a problem with gas system. Changed gas system. Split the two previous holes. (off of [email protected]) OH! NO Problem! Still shoots low, but dead-on when sighted correctly. The other holes are from off-hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From your first question and then your reply about being able to do that with your .22 rifle, I would say that you would not be happy with a Garand.

Go find yourself a gunsmith to build you a nice custom one hole shooter. I have not met or talked to one Garand shooter that bought his rifle for the tack driving capability.

If I were you I would not pay more than $1500.00 for the custom rifle. Of course you will have to spend a few hundred more for the scope. Then you will be able to do better than what you can do with your .22 at 100 yards. Good Luck

AJ

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are only concerned with pinpoint accuracy the garand is not for you. But try taking down a moose with a .22. It's possible but you never hear someone trying it. My groupings are from a standing position. In a hunting situation I rarely have time to go prone so I don't practice going prone.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
MM48, Why not go prone. I taken several deer, does, from prone. Shooting off-hand, standing is great. Sounds like you walk-hunt in thick woods like the Sam Houston Natl Forest.
I like to walkhunt too when the other guys are not on the lease. If a deer sees you at a long distance, drop to the ground. The dumb deer will step out in the open, sorta and stomp their feet.
Took a doe several years ago with a rebuilt Full Military Springfield 03-A3 open sights at 125 steps. Went for a head shot bubba. Nailed her under left eye.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice shooting. I walk hunt for coyote. I don't use calls so they usually see me before I see them. Can't take deer with a rifle in my state.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think it's OK. I went to a birthday party for a 70 yr old friend of mine this weekend and met one of his other friends who was 83. After a little small talk about guns (I was wearing a Ruger shirt), I admitted that he was a Marine in WWII in the Pacific for four years. He hit them all including Iwa Jima only being wounded once, though he saw a lot killed. He said the Garand won the war. He said you could drag it through the sand or the mud and it still worked every time. I had to thank him for his service.

Dave :burnout:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have 2 Garands: a DCM gun and a Korean expat gun. The DCM gun would shoot 3” to 4” groups at 100 yds, but as it heated up, the center of impact shifted to the right several inches. I took it to a guy and he glassed the stock and loosened the parts that were supposed to be loosened and it now shoots about 1.5” with M2 mil ball and better than 1” with ammo it really likes.

The Korean expat gun shot into minute of basket ball with the original barrel (somewhere around 12”). It now has a Barrett barrel, new wood and new finish. It looks like it just came off the assembly line. It shoots into something like 1.5” to 2”.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Clem321's experience is representative of what you can do with a Garand. The X-ring on service rifle targets is 1 MOA, the 10-ring is 3 MOA. I have seen lots of Garands that would hold the 10-ring all day long. I even own a couple. It can be done, and there is no secret about it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great rifle.. Very rewarding to shoot. I really hope you decide to get 1.

That being said. Garands tend to vary in accuracy, mostly due to the GI rack grade or so. Definitely wanna make sure you check out the throat erosion and the bore before getting any garand.

I got mine for a deal, it had a bad barrel so I jsut had it rebarreled and now it gets 3 1/2 - 4 inch groups at a little over 100 yards.

·
Registered
216 Posts
look at my post where i sighted mine in saturday http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/m1-garand/47986-got-my-garand-sighted.html
these guns will shoot better then 3 or 4 inch groups but you got to have a good barrel, get it from cmp if ya can and gauge the barrel to make sure its not shot out.
I shot those groups with surplus greek ammo they have.
oh..... you'll love the Garand, lotta fun to shoot and wont punish ya either

·
Registered
216 Posts
I shoot left handed so front handguard resting in the V of a vice left hand holding the stock and right wrapped under the stock supporting my left arm. I always site in this way, only way to know its dead on, and with this heavy battle rifle it helps,once you do that then its up to you to steady it and shoot right :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
ahh yes, im sure my rifle is capable of tighter groups in a vise. I dont even shoot with sand bags. I just discovered how much better a sling is than nothing at all.

-Skat

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you'll likely get better accuracy if you keep the handguard off of the vice, or sandbags. if your going to use a rest with an M1, get it under the stock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts