Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I need your help....
I need to know the value of an Original Garand Ammo Belt with suspenders...
It is Green and has multiple pockets for Clips full of Ammo all the way around...
What is it worth ???
Rich

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one is complete with suspenders..I have never seen one like it..Hence the Question. Belongs to a WW2Veteran and I have first shot at it !
Rich

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Presuming you mean suspender straps I would guess the one you describe is post WW II. The Garand belt has three separate pieces two of which contain ammo pockets (right and left side) the third is a connector belt strap that allows for waist size adjustment. Some pouches have a total of 8 pockets (early), some have 10 (later). On the average they go for around $70 but actual range is from $35 to $150+. There are many reproductions available on the market that demand similiar prices so beware.

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
There was a BAR belt with suspenders; how many pockets does it have? Are the pockets big enough for a BAR mag?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Are there any markings on it? The straps that are on it, do they have brass or steel clips that clip through the holes? Those straps may be marked too. I have one that was "re-dyed" green later in the war. I also have one set that is 1943 dated and stamped "British Made" but they are USGI.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
My grandfather had one when I was a kid. I wish I still had it! He bought it full of ammo at a Navy surplus sale for veterans that was held at the Naval air station. Lost it in a house fire.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, It appears to be an OD green 10-pocket M1923 cartridge belt and M1936 field suspenders....
I bought it for 15.00 today...Reproductions sell for 170.00 I found out, so I figure I got a deal.
The Belt has Brass snapdots,and the date and Maker are worn off,this dude saw combat... the suspenders are Khaki in the back and light OD green in the front.
Rich

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
friend of mine has one like that, where he got it and how much he paid for it I don't? if its original i would guess that retail that rig probably sells for $40.00 or more?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Anyone who pays $170 for the repro Garand belts I have seen is an idiot! Not good quality and wrong material so they don't look right at 25 feet.
Most are priced at under $100.

Green BAR, Garand belts & suspenders came out in 1943, but were slow to make it to the front.
A good condition Garand belt - whether WW 2 or Korean War(no inside snap straps in each pocket) will bring an easy $75. The suspenders, if marked, will bring $25-50.

You did very well - $100+/- for $15. Go give him another $20 - in appreciation for his service you can tell him.
Sarge

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Sarge,
I do Better than That, I volunteer a lot of time for him and his household. Including Computer Maintenance, Plumbing, Hauling and burning Garbage , and other things as needed....We both get a good deal this way!

Rich

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Hey Moose congrads on getting a rare piece of history. My friend just bought a repo belt(no suspenders) and paid about $40.00. He also found a cleaning kit for an M-1 it fits on the belt and has an alum. handle its from ww-2 and its not the one that goes in the stock. The handle is a T handle its in ex. shape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AMMO BELT--Have one like yours--5 each side adj. in rear-takes 06 clips--tan color and marked USMC on inside--but I have no suspenders (today)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts