Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to convert an M1 Garand to shoot .308 Win. Anybody knows of such conversion ?

I know of barrels made in Italy (by Beretta or Breda ?). Any info on these ?

Anything else to be converted ? (like the stock or oper.rod ?)

I've also heard of a barrel insert (the easy but dubious way, if I may say). Is it safe to use or not ?

30.06 ammo is a little scarce over here. .308 Win is not.

Thank you all in advance...:feedback:

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
You can buy them from allot of places like Brownells. I bought one years back and then had it cut to head space. That is the issue with a new barrel. There made with a short chamber that needs to be reamed. The reamer is over $100.00 and that is for one you have to take the barrel off each time you want to cut it. The more expensive ones cut while it is on the receiver. Some sales below. Rick

BARNETT M1A/M14 GARAND BARREL at Brownells

M1Parts

I forgot to mention you do not need to change any parts using these barrels. The gas release hole is a different diameter and the barrel is the standard length. Now if you want a Tanker get a kit at Numrich and slap it together. I built one with great success. Rick B

·
Registered
395 Posts
Stock doc,

The ONLY problem Bandido will get is to get the stuff to GREECE:werd:

We, the europeans, are victim of the export laws the US has these days.
Specific rifle/gun parts are on the "do not send abroad" list and most websites don't even take international orders anymore.
I recently had the same problem when I ordered 5 roundclips and a couple of 1911 mags. The website emailed me that they could not send international for the next 3 months or so.
Brownell will send it but if it's above $100 they either wont sell or you'll have to get a lot of paperwork done for a lot of extra money.
Numrich for example has The Netherlands on a "do not ship to" list with an exception for certain parts IF you send in papers. But when a gunclub member ordered there he received an email that they did not send internationally for an unspecified time period.

Rob

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
That kinda sucks.

Maybe he could contact that Italian guy on Epay who sells all the Garand parts. Shiping from Itay to Greece shoould not be a problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That kinda sucks.
Yes it does

Maybe he could contact that Italian guy on Epay who sells all the Garand parts. Shiping from Itay to Greece shoould not be a problem. Probably not
If it was my rifle I wouldn't convert it to 308 but would try to buy a 308 AND keep the 30-06.
I know there are 308's in good condition for sale for about € 950-1000 This is about $1400.
If it weren't so that my permit reached my allowed 5 gun I would go for another garand (in 308)
Rob

Maybe he could contact that Italian guy on Epay who sells all the Garand parts. Shiping from Itay to Greece shoould not be a problem. Probably not
I meant probably no problem!:34:

Rob

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Bandido
The US Navy experimented with 308 chamber inserts which did not fair to well. It seems that after a few rounds the insert would extract from the chamber. Not recommended. I doubt you should have a problem finding a conversion for your Garand. I believe the barrel and headspacing are all that is required...I'm not real sure on the op rod spring but the original should functionfine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts