close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M1 Garand Cycling Problems

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by venzor6661, Sep 14, 2014.

1. venzor6661

venzor6661 G&G Newbie

Hey guys. New to the M1 Garand scene and still in a learning stage. Don't know much about them but own one. I took it to the range the other day to get to know the rifle better. My biggest issues I was running into was the weapon not cycling any rounds. It would fire but not cycle. I also had a couple ftf's. I know some issue was not all grease points were lubricated. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

2. lynxpilot

lynxpilot Constitutionalist Forum Contributor

Ava, MO
    Does it have an adjustable gas plug?
    Do you shoot factory, commercial .30-06?
    Have you checked the op rod to see if it's bent?

3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Hopefully, one of our resident M1 experts will chime in. I would first check the gas plug to see if it is screwed in tight. If so then I would field strip the rifle and look for anything obvious. Myriad of things that could cause a fail to cycle. Things as simple as a gas plug not tight allowing too much gas to escape.

Remember, M1's need loads that approximate the pressures of ball ammo. That pressure is lower than most commercial ammo.

First, field strip and clean the rifle muzzle to butt plate. See fi that helps or helps you find something that doesn't look correct.

PM Orlando. Bill is a great guy and more than willing to help a newbie out with his rifle. Lord knows he has helped me many times.

4. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Need more info as to exactly what is going on. Does it fire the first round and just not pick up the next? Describe the issue in detail
    What ammo are you using?
    What is stamped on the enbloc?
    Does the issue happen with different enblocs?

Before doing anything else tear down rifle COMPLETLY , cleam and properly GREASE the rifle. While you have the rifle aparts, check the op rod spring . It should measure 20 1/4 to 19 inches long with no kinks, bends or flat spots. If it is out of spec replace it with one for Orion 7 or GarandGear
    As already stated make sure gas screw is tight, look at the back side of it, check for cracks

5. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

That's my suggestion too - strip it, clean it, grease it (Google M1 Garand grease points), then think about an Orion 7 spring kit. That kit can't be beat and is a cheap remedy for many problems.

The possibility exists that the gas cylinder may be worn out of spec, or even the piston (less likely). My M1 had a worn-out cylinder. There's a vendor called The Garand Guy that sells dandy kits with a rebuilt cylinder, front sight, gas plug, and nut, all refinished. Looks great, works even better. My M1 shoots wonderfully now!

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I hope the OP returns and responds. I learn a lot from threads like this!

7. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Many things can cause the OP's issue. You need to rule out the simple most most obvious first
    Properly greased
    Op Rod spring in spec
    bad enblocs
    After these all check out then we can go from there , otherwise you can be going in circles

jwrauch likes this.
  8. gunnerdave

gunnerdave G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Gas port could be plugged with crud too.