close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M1 Garand Facts and Trivia

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by GatorDude, May 6, 2014.

1. GatorDude

GatorDude G&G Addict

I recently put together a little article called Ten Facts About the M1 Garand Battle Rifle. But, I'll bet you guys know many more tidbits and much more trivia about the Garand than I do. So, drop a little known fact about the M1 Garand on us!

Here's one I found when I was doing my reading: The Garand's designer, John C. Garand, was a civil servant working in the U.S. Springfield Armory. During World War II, he was recognized with two medals from congress but no bonus or extra cash.

thrillbilly, Stock Doc and jwrauch like this.
  2. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks for an interesting and informative post . I didn't know John Garand received 2 medals for it but did know the other facts. Mine is my favorite US military rifle. JR

3. GatorDude

GatorDude G&G Addict

Thanks! The M1 Garand seems like it would be the ultimate U.S. military rifle to own. It's always fun to shoot something with a little history behind it!

4. I didnt know there was a Beretta clone of the Garand. Kinda strange.....the same people we used Garands on in WWII was making them just a few short years later.

5. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Beretta got Winchester's tooling after the war.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

6. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

Don't forget John C. Garand's ultimate gift from the US Government: he was allowed to keep his job at Springfield during one of the post-war economy moves when they were getting rid of people and downsizing staff at the Arsenal. He never got a dime or a savings bond or anything for his invention, the M1 rifle. They graciously allowed him to keep his job. Nothing like genuine gratitude, eh?

7. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Nice info nuggets!

How about an image to salute the mighty garand?

Attached Files: