Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I don't mean to stir and upset people. But it kind of bothers me that people won't acknowledge that the Garand is infact a Canadian designed rifle. I understand the level of patrioitsm and how much success this rifle had, But we cannot deny that John Cantius Garand was indeed Canadian, and he was the one that designed this wonderful rifle.

My favorite pistol is the Colt 1911, I own one proudly and I don't try to convince myself this is a Canadian gun, cause it isn't. The roots of any firearm can't be rewritten. My favorite rifle is the German Mauser Kar98.

Most countries make good guns and their share of bad ones.
The German G43 for example, Or the Canadian Ross rifle of WWI, Or the Italian Carcano series rifles. Or the American M3A1 Greasegun. Nobody is immune to makeing bad guns. But out of respect, we should acknowlege the history and the roots of any firearm made.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
No, Mr. Garand was a Canadian - the M1 rifle he designed is as American as John Wayne and Ronald Reagan. :)
By your reasoning, the German HK/G3 rifle is Spanish, as it's original design was by a Spanish arsenal, but then the actual design team was German, so maybe The CETME is German . . . ooh, my head is beginning to hurt . . .

The Russian Nagant revolver is really Belgian . . . ? :hmmm:

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just difference of opinion really I guess. I find the roots don't change the plant just because it's on different soil

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,391 Posts
Well,
The history channel acknowledges it every now and then. Books Iv'e read acknowledge it. I taught the history of the Garand as well as care and maintenance when I was a Weapons NCOIC in the 12th AF Honaor Guard. Iv'e never heard any one ever take issue with Mr Garand's nationality.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
The Garand is a American Rifle period. John Garand lived here and made it here with American Armory money and machinery. If it was Canadian he would have made it there and your military would have used it instead of us having to Lend Lease them to you.
I have followed a few of your posts and you seem to want to stir up trouble. Please take it easy and enjoy the forum without starting to many debates. Also please get the difference of FORCED opinions with no intelligence off your mind. 2+2 = 4 in America. You are DEAD wrong about the Garand being a Canadian design as Garand had many folks helping him like Art Tuttle being one who just pasted away.
Next you will tell me Oliver Winchester invented rifles when in fact he did not like guns and Browning and Henry designed all the early stuff but Winchester put his name on it because he owned then company and had all the money. Winchester made everything under the sun. Do a search on Ebay and you will see tools and parts.
Get those facts straight before trying to take credit. Rick B

[email protected]

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi all,
Sorry to say but Mr Garand became an American. In Vol. 1 of the Garand Papers is his Citizenship Papers. This was started in the teens and finished in the early 1920's
Thanks again
Clancy
ps glad to see you back Stock Doc

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
On two occasions the US came close to annexing Canada... ;) Actually, the US was considering it untill WWI, though Canadian independence was a deterrent.
Hope all can take that in good humor. ;)
If it makes you feel any better, Gambit, my conservative college has a Canadian born history professor who says he'd have been a British Loyalist. Welcome to G&G and hope we can all share some good info and get along well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts