Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
Now that we know that CMP is out of M1 Garands for now, I have some questions for you. How many of you are collecting or firing your M1 Garands? If collecting do you breakdown how you collect them? Do you breakdown by the maker, early, late types, British Proofs, Snipers, Inspector's stamp etc. ? Why I am asking this is on different sites I see guys looking to build their collection looking for parts, stampings, Drawing numbers, etc,. Do you have that one M1 Garand that you use as your special M1, for shooting or collecting?
Thanks again
Clancy

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I wish I could shoot one... If only they were under $200 like "back in the day". *sigh*:sad2:

·
Banned
259 Posts
I just have one in my small mil-surp semi-auto collection. But it's a good one, a great shooter, and my best and most favorite. They don't come cheap, you know. Would like to have an M1 carbine when possible.
Passed over an M1 carbine replica in .22lr and wish I hadn't. Oh well~~. I wish hindsight was foresight!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I shoot mine every two weeks. My m1 garand and my new ar15 are currently my two most favorite (and accurate!) rifles in my collection.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I bought a Springfield last year. I thought it was a Korean War era when I bought it from my local gun shop for $525. The metal was all good but stock looked like someone pounded fence post with it. I was going to order a new stock. But when I took it down and found it to be made in April 1944, I decided to just gently bring the stock back with steel wool and lindseed oil.

My guess is that its a CMP gun. It is probably a rack grade judging by the hodge podge parts. The upper wood is birch. It makes me wonder if it might be a Greek return. But it is tight with good bore and the metal is all in really good shape.

I probably shouldn't, but I shoot it(...not a lot, 100 or 200 rounds a year). It is too much fun to shoot to not shoot it!!!

I just have one in my small mil-surp semi-auto collection. But it's a good one, a great shooter, and my best and most favorite. They don't come cheap, you know. Would like to have an M1 carbine when possible.
Passed over an M1 carbine replica in .22lr and wish I hadn't. Oh well~~. I wish hindsight was foresight!
GET THE CARBINE!!! I just bought an IBM. I've been wanting one for years. I paid too much, but got exactly what I wanted. They are soooooo much fun to shoot!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts