Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what appears to be a nice 1-44 production Springfield M1 Garand (ser# 2,485xxx). However, after looking through several books by Duff and Harrison I'm a little concerned about some of the markings. I can't confirm or identify the following:

Receiver is stamped D 28291 32 with a "14A" stamp on underside (books suggest A 14 < > would be correct heat lot number). The right side of the receiver has some additional stampings I can't identify. The back upper right side has a small "8", there's also a small "A 6 A" stamping above the part number. To the upper right of the part number there is also a larger (and lighter) offset "6 6" stamp along with a diamond. What bothers me the most of all is a pencil engraved "SA 2-44 or SA 2-66" marking on the right lower side of the receiver.

The barrel is marked 3-S-A-1-44 which also doesn't jive with the books I have (books say 1-S-A-1-44). All other parts are correct as far as I can tell, including the stock.

Any imput would be appreciated, along with recommendations for reference material. I don't mind doing the research myself... I just don't know where to look. Currently I have several books by Scott Duff, J.C. Harrison & Bruce Canfield.

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Randy

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Randy, the SA 2-66 markings are from rebuild at Springfield. The other little numbers and things shouldn't trouble you. Could the "1" in the barrel date really be a "7"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I've had a chance to do more research and tear the gun down further to check additional markings. The barrel date is indeed 3-S-A-1-44 with a drawing number of D35448-2B (could be an 8) -Y-66B. The "P" proof is present on the barrel taper area, but I find no punch marks anywhere. The gas port area has been chromed and the barrel parkerized. The bore measures a "1", while the chamber is a "3". Every other marked part on the gun carries the correct drawing number for the period.

I find it odd that a rebuild would have all correct parts, a mint barrel and Lock Bar rear sight. I always thought rebuilds were mis-matched with replaced barrels and updated sights. I can't believe anyone would spend the time and money to make the gun correct with the obvious pencil engraving from SA on the receiver leg.

Is it possible the gun arrived at SA in near mint shape and they did a "minimum" rebuild? I have no knowledge or experience in that area.

Scratching my head,
Randy

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
SA didn't do it. Well, maybe if SA stands for "some american" or something like that. You gun was someone's attempt to make it all "correct". There are lots of them out there. Shoot it and enjoy it.

Now, sometimes they do get things almost "correct" during rebuild. I have an IHC that was a LEADs rebuild. It has the classic silver park. I went over the rifle and the only thing I could find that wasn't IHC was the rear sight. Even the stock is IHC with the rebuild orange stamp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M1 Garand

Thanks again,

I guess I'm not surprised someone would try to make the gun "correct" for personal reasons, but the barrel still bugs me. Pristine 1944 barrels can't be that common (or cheap), can they?

You're right though.. I'm just going to shoot it and enjoy. :)

Randy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks again,

I guess I'm not surprised someone would try to make the gun "correct" for personal reasons, but the barrel still bugs me. Pristine 1944 barrels can't be that common (or cheap), can they?

Guilty as charged. I have "rebuilt" M1's from clients' parts when they tried to restore one to near original. (A sinner but I must make a living) Thus the disappearance and miraculous reappearance of the L-bar sight. Some like an "arsenal original" with a newer "shooting barrel" replacing an original bbl they are saving. I have several buyers for that "cheap" pristine 44 barrel!!!! Ha!
"They's folks out there" that can read all them little bitty numbers and codes, cartouches, etc. I sometimes don't even remember noting whether it is a H&R or SA. They all blur together after a while! All M1;s are great!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts