Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an old M1 from an old man that used it in combat. It is one from the Springfield plant, and has only 5 serial numbers. Just trying to find a place that my let me know what this thing is worth! I am a gun collector, but not appraiser. Is this the right board for this?? Thanks guys!

James (23yrs USAF), son Bill (5yrs USAF), son Jim (5yrs USMC):D

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I KNOW STOCK DOC......

is big on them, he will probably give you more info. do you own it or looking to buy it???

GOD BLESS you and your sons for their service to our country.:nod:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi, Eaglejames,

I'll try to get you started on what to look for. Can you at least give thr firt 2-3 numbers of the serial number? There's a LOT of difference between 1,000 and 99,000. An M1 could be worth $350-3,000.00 - "the devil is in the details". Some things to look for starters:

1) Pull back the operating rod until it locks - look in the space where it was when forward. There should be a series of letters and numbers, a few of which indicate the date of the barrel. Report what you see.

2) Stock - Look on the left side of the stock - there MAY be letters in a box there just above the trigger guard.

Look on the right side of the rear sight - is there a little steel "box" over the windage knob? Are the knob "lined" or knurled?

There are several other things to look for, but that will get you started. You might have a real find or just a common poat-WWII rebuild.

Let us know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rick! I have the gun at this site:

www.levdebfilms.com/bradley.htm

at the bottom of the page. It also has the data sheet. It is actually 6 numbers. I was thinking of my Japanese gun, I suppose! Thanks for all your help. And in response to the first reply, I am interested in selling it if it is worth anything! :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Took a look at the data sheet and all the metal seems to either be correct or just slightly off (I think one part was mid- to late-1941 instead of early 1941).

A couple of follow-up questions:

1) Any markings on your stock? Look on the left side of the stock.

2) What kind of rear sight - flush-nut, lockbar or T105? - the lock-bar as that little "bar" on on the windage knob I mentioned in the last post - the T105 has no lock-bar, but a big screw on the elevation knob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No markings whatsoever on the stock! And I have no lockbar, but it does have the screw.

Thanks Rick. Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Going back to your original question, I'm guessing the value is somewhere in the $700-800 area.

That being said, value is not my specialty. The original 1941 bbl and other parts might make it a candidate for a restoration and help the value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts