Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Hi, Eaglejames,

I'll try to get you started on what to look for. Can you at least give thr firt 2-3 numbers of the serial number? There's a LOT of difference between 1,000 and 99,000. An M1 could be worth $350-3,000.00 - "the devil is in the details". Some things to look for starters:

1) Pull back the operating rod until it locks - look in the space where it was when forward. There should be a series of letters and numbers, a few of which indicate the date of the barrel. Report what you see.

2) Stock - Look on the left side of the stock - there MAY be letters in a box there just above the trigger guard.

Look on the right side of the rear sight - is there a little steel "box" over the windage knob? Are the knob "lined" or knurled?

There are several other things to look for, but that will get you started. You might have a real find or just a common poat-WWII rebuild.

Let us know!

· Registered
236 Posts
Took a look at the data sheet and all the metal seems to either be correct or just slightly off (I think one part was mid- to late-1941 instead of early 1941).

A couple of follow-up questions:

1) Any markings on your stock? Look on the left side of the stock.

2) What kind of rear sight - flush-nut, lockbar or T105? - the lock-bar as that little "bar" on on the windage knob I mentioned in the last post - the T105 has no lock-bar, but a big screw on the elevation knob.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.