Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Springfield Armory (the Mass. one) at a gun show over the weekend. Rebuilt. Receiver is "black", op. rod assembly is parked. No import marks. Here is the really puzzling thing (to me): Barrel is marked as follows:
SA 6586449 (might be 6536...) 4 66 MO65 (possibly MD65) [all on one line] Then there is a P (presumably the government proof) and what might be the top of an M. Last thing is a stamp that I thought was a "crown" in a square but might be an eagle with a star on each side of the head, the eagle being in a square.
S/N of the rifle indicates an April 1943 date of manufacture. Rifle has the milled trigger guard (internals marked IHC). Because the stock appears to have been replaced, I don't see any rebuild cartouches, etc. This a rebuild or simply a "parts gun" that someone put together? I'm curious about the 4 66 date on the barrel as I didn't think SA was making Garand barrels that late. (In '63 I was carrying an M-14 during my summer vacation at PISC.)
Any thoughts? Note: I'm a Johnson rifle guy, so M-1s are sort of "foreign" to me.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Hi Bob,
Nice to see you here and thank you for your large contribution to the Johnson Book and Johnson Collecting world.

First the M is for Magnaflux and has been a topic lately on allot of forums. Folks seem to think it means National Match but it does not. The P is a proof mark as you thought. The barrel very well may be a 1966 as I swear I recall seeing them and pretty sure I have seen 1965's The MO65 very well could be and sounds like a heat lot. The square with the crown should be the DAS Defense Acceptance Stamp of the eagle with three stars over it.
Enjoy it even though it cannot shoot as tight as a Johnson, this I know. Mine easily hits a 1/2 inch group at 100 yrds. None of my Garands do better than 3 inch maybe a bit tighter. I know you can get them tighter with work but them Johsnons are just amazing on the groups. Rick B

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Dang Rick! Thats sad. Thanks for the info. The way the Johnson is built, I'd thought that was just for slinging lead.
One Garand, SA, I built from CMP Danish rackgrade less wood, I bought a comercial barrel off Ebay. It does shoot good but have to crank rear site 12 clicks for 200 yards. Thought it might be the gas system. Two shoots @ 100, almost touched. Changed gas system. Fired again and split the previous holes. It's not the gas system.

Welcome to GnG Bob. I have a 50,700 Serial # SA with a 64 barrel on it. Shoots OK. Find a John C Garand rifle match somewhere.
check , www.odcmp.org

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks! The s/n on this Garand is 1,492,xxx and I paid about what the CMP would charge. The dealer gave me a $50 discount because the bolt would not hold open when the op rod was pulled back. Took the bloody thing apart, put it back together, and it worked fine. Thank God for "Small Arms of the World"!
Thanks for the nice words about the Johnson website and the Johnson book. Jim Pullen (Johnson website operator) has found more about Johnson weapons through his site -- and accumulated alot more info through his research -- than I did in 17 years of research. Of course, I didn't become computer "semi-literate" until a few years ago.
Now working on another research project dealing with the private arms merchants between World War I and World War II -- the "Merchants of Death".

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
boblamoreaux,
Welcome there are a great group of guys on this board. I think you will find it of interest.
Thanks again
Clancy

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Bob,
Well I have a few pictures and by what you are saying it should be a Springfeild barrel. I found a picutre of a 60's barrel below { I wish was better} and a Winchester. I just want to make sure you dont have a Wincheser someone may have stamped SA on. I doubt it but I will wonder until I see a 66 SA barrel again.
The way you mentioned the P and M sounded like they may be in a row like the Winchester barrel and I wasned to make sure. Also all the 60'6 barels had the same drawing numbers. Let me know. Rick B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts