Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Wow, who ever refinished that stock did a bang up job; pours filled and looking nice!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
What do you make of the numbers on the barrel? "SPL 9 65 MD50"?
Well, it was made in September 1965.

SPL is a bit of a mystery. There's speculation is means it's got an enlarged gas port for the 7.62 Navy conversion. There's speculation is means a match barrel. There's speculation it means neither of those things.

I don't know what MD50 means. I have the big Garand book, and will look in it later if no one knows.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it was made in September 1965.

SPL is a bit of a mystery. There's speculation is means it's got an enlarged gas port for the 7.62 Navy conversion. There's speculation is means a match barrel. There's speculation it means neither of those things.

I don't know what MD50 means. I have the big Garand book, and will look in it later if no one knows.
Thank to Dutch...i appreciate you looking that up...a fella can get lost real quick tryin to find stuff on the internet...

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
if the numbers do mean the barrel was made in 1965, it is a military contract barrel put on a Springfield Armory made receiver. I'm not sure when Springfield Armory (NOT the U.S. Arsenal at Springfield ) started their business but I don't think in was in 1965.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if the numbers do mean the barrel was made in 1965, it is a military contract barrel put on a Springfield Armory made receiver. I'm not sure when Springfield Armory (NOT the U.S. Arsenal at Springfield ) started their business but I don't think in was in 1965.
I was told this gun could have been built at either the Navy or Marines aresenal for competition shooting.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
No doubt. I should edit my earlier post to specify the barrel, but I'll let it stand. The receiver SN puts it in Early 1943.

It was rebuilt with a new barrel at some point.

Edit to add - I looked and my Garand book isn't on the shelf. I'll need to track down to whom I lent it. Hopefully someone chimes in that knows the answers without having to look them up!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I've never seen a front sight like that. I've always shot with front sight post.
I thought it was a Lyman target front sight, but I didn't find anything to put them on a Garand. However, changing the search string to Globe Front Sight Garand gave me some hits. Interesting.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
now I am confused. I thought Springfield Armory uses their own manufactured receivers and used as many G.I. surplus parts as were available. although now I believe they make all the parts themselves. is that a G.I. receiver made in 1943? or is it a Springfield Armory receiver made much later but with the same serial #?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
SA got a new SN range for post war receivers, starting up in the 4 million range. They stopped producing new assembly line M1 rifles in 57, but were assembling national match rifles after that. I don't recall for how long, but they were shut down around 1960. So far as I'm aware they produced all parts in house.

Springfield Armory inc, the company using the same (similar) name, produced m1 garands starting in the 7 million range.

·
Premium Member
25,793 Posts
@Bart B., can you shed any light on the M1 up there in post #1.
You've likely seen and handled more variants than any of the rest of us have ever heard of or dreamed & fantasized about...

·
Banned
222 Posts
Hmm, Barrels are 26 or 28 inches long ,When selecting go with the 28 if the marjority of your shooting is at 30 yards and beyond.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts