Last Saturday, a fellow at the range had an unpleasant experience with a brand new Springfield Armory M1 Garand. Seems he was trying out the new rifle, and had brought along some hand loads. When they wouldn't chamber properly, he went up to the range house and got some Federal ammo. It wouldn't chamber either, so he used his hand to beat on the op rod handle while standing over the piece. It slam fired out of battery. His injuries were minor, cuts to his right forearm. No one else was hurt. But he could now take his new M1 home in a bag. No one knows if he had a dirty chamber, had not lubed the piece, or what. I guess the moral of the story is please read the manual first. This was at American Shooting Centers in Hou, TX.