close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M1 Restored or Original?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mike, Apr 29, 2002.

1. mike

mike G&G Newbie

Anyone have any tips on Identifing restored from original M-1 I have a Standard products, that appears to be 100% correct including a 1943 dated sling with an apropriate amount of wear but very tight and trigger group etc does not seem to have been worked on. No arsenal marks or remarks only the original stamps. Any tips would be helpful Seems to god to be true, I have checked it against the ref. and all parts are corrrect for the ser. # and date.

2. IMHO I would look at the overall wear on the parkerizing , does anything look out of place too dark , too light etc. You didn't say if it has a flip sight or adjustable sight. Type 1 band or bayonet lug. If it has an adjustable sight you know that it has probably gone through an arsenal rebuild, same holds true of band with bayonet lug. If flip sight is in place look for punch marks which would indicate that an adjustable sight had been removed and the flip put in it's place. If type 1 band is used check wear patern to see if different. Good luck!

3. mike

mike G&G Newbie

Bob thanks, it has a flip type sight which is not punched in place, with no evidence of other punch marks, the barrel band is the type 1 first model, the general wear seems very uniform on all metal parts no indication of refinishing or touch up with the trigger group appearing as though it has not been disassembled often, the action seems very tight compared to others i have seen, internal wear on slide etc seems minimal, consistent with exterior wear pattern, and general condition of the stock. Just checking it out in detail because it seems to good to be true, i have looked at at lot of carbines and this one just seems right. Welcome any other thougths you might have
    Mike

Last edited: May 4, 2002