Gun and Game Forum banner

M1 Thumb

9K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  RMTactical 
#1 ·
Can anyone explain to me what the "M1 Thumb" is? I know generally, but would like to know how to prevent it. I have been considering buying one.

#4 ·
That's why it was stressed to keep the hand itself ( from little finger to wrist) against the handle on the op rod when inserting clips. If done correctly the handle will push the hand and thumb out ot the way. If not the thumb is terribly mashed. Yes, it has happened more than once over the decades! Guess I am a dummy?

#8 ·
I was warned about Garand Thumb before I got my Garand. About half the time as soon as I put my clip in the action closes so I just catch the op rod handle before it hits my fingers. Never let it slam on my thumb yet. The other half of the time I have to push the op rod handle forward for it to close. My advice is buy a Garand. Best fightin rifle of WWII.

#9 ·
M1 thumb usualy resulted during inspection arms while performing the manual of arms. You had to be quick or skilled by holding the op rod like you say you do, lest the bolt make an imprint on the thumd and a long lasting memory for the victim...while pushing the follower down to disengage the bolt lock. I don't know of many who got one while loading a enbloc. It's hard to keep from laughing at someone when it happens...

#10 ·
have not even came close to it (knocking on wood) if ya lay your hand flat against the side of the reciever with your edge of your palm against the bolt push the clip in with your thumb, your hand will keep it from closing on you. The bolt will stay open long as you have downward pressure on the clip, once you let off you will feel the bolt move forward a little bit and usually stops then bump it with ya hand to make it close. Sometimes it will close on its on tho so as you release the clip just swing ya thump up and out of the way with ya hand still on side of the reciever and it wont even come close to ya.

#11 ·
Been a victim of this in USMC Boot Camp, back in the early 1960's. When the bullet guide is pushed down, with the op rod held back, by the little finger and side-knuckle....upon being released, the thumb had better learn speed traveling in an upward fashion at warp speed. I seen many recruits holding an M1 Garand sideways with the thumb, caught by the bolt slamming forward, in the receiver breech, shouting to the D.I.s............."SIR"!! Once was enough for me.:34:

#12 ·
The proper loading technique is to hold your hand flat against the rifle using the pinkie finger end of your hand to hold the op rod open and the thumb to push the clip into the magazine. This will prevent the op rod from slamming home on your thumb. If you get lazy and use your fingers or thumb to push the clip in without a hold on the op rod handle it may not be your day.

#14 ·
It's not gonna happen when you are loading it. Rather, your will be watching SPR one Friday night and you will bring your Garand out to "fondle" while you enjoy the show. You will have the bolt back, but not back far enough and WHAMM, it'll fly forward and catch whatever is in front of it. That usually includes your index finger, thumb, cigar, man-tit, or whatever.

It will happen just like that, or when you are cleaning it.

#17 ·
Preventive maintainance is to use to two hands to release the bolt. Right hand, (little finger-side knuckle) holds the op rod back, left hand thumb pushes the bullet guide down, right hand (little finger-side knuckle) eases the op rod-bolt forward. Obviously, during inspection arms, one must use only one hand...Arrrrrrr....:ugh:...LOL!

#19 ·
Yeah, Ky, I still snicker when I picture a friend jumping up and down in pain with a Garand attached to the lower part of his upper extremety. I'd just look at them, shake my head, and pull the op-rod back to release their digit...then we'd both start laughing. I guess if it happened to the same person 3 times, he was assigned as a Remington Raider...lol

#22 ·
My brother bought a Garand recently and he got Garand Thumb on Friday night... while he was fondling it.

I've never gotten Garand Thumb, but I have gotten Makarov Finger... :34:

Was using a piece of clothe to clean out the chamber with the slide back and locked my trigger finger in the action. I couldn't use my trigger finger for 2 weeks...:sad2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.